Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a learner 125 for my son. He's a big lad 6'4", so something substantial is needed.
My researches suggest the Hyosung GT125 Comet which is also not too expensive.
http://www.hyosung.co.uk/detail.php?id=10
Does anybody have any experience of these?
I'm slightly uneasy about chinese bikes though I also use a made in china aluminium electric folder which has been excellent, very handy to keep in the car for getting home from the pub.

·
Registered
438 Posts
At 6'4" and any where near 180-200 lbs, i'd put him on the 250 unless he'll be riding where there's little traffic.

They seem to have some issues, but they don't really impact someone who is learning. For example, the suspension isn't that good. Someone new to motorcycling isn't going to feel the difference, and it's not so bad to make the ride unpleasant or unsafe. The brakes also aren't the best, but you don't want a new rider stabbing at grippy brakes either.

They a parts supplier for Sukuzi and some parts are a rebadged copy. Those parts that interchange should do well, but the quality and design of the in-house Hyosung parts aren't as good in my opinion. I wouldn't expect it to hold up as well as most other motorcycles if you park it outdoors all the time or ride in the rain.

They aren't the most cutting edge, hi-tech thing around, but when you just want something to plonk around on it's a pretty good and inexpensive choice.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
in the UK you have to start with a 125, the only experience I have is chinese scooters which are OK, wife ran one all last winter with no problems at all, in the MCN test of 125,s they came in really well, just change the tyres as they where rubbish, apart from that they did well, just remember that the resale will be rock bottom right now when he moves up to a 33 BHP.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
I'm 6'1, 16st and ran a Chinese 125 for a year until I passed my test and got a Bonnie - 33bhp.

My similarly sized 18 year old ran the Chinese 125 for about six months (having already spent six months on a Chinese scooter) until he passed his test and now rides a 33bhp Bandit 660.

I'd go for it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As doodledog says, in the UK learners must start with 125 or less. I have to admit I am the same size as my son and was tested on an ST70 which raised a few laughs.
The Hyosung is big for a 125 which is why I was considering it. The Japanese 125s seem a bit dinky. There's a riding school near me and the learner Hondas they have could fit in your pocket.
I'm used to my Tiger which I find a comfortable fit.

·
Registered
783 Posts
They are actually a Korean manufacturer, not Chinese. Their cars (eg Hyundai) have proven to be very reliable and I've heard nothing negative so far about the Hyosung. If the price is right, I wouldn't worry about it. Resale might be the only issue due to the "Chinese" tag.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My 2 cents worth!

Don't know about the 125's but the 650 (Suzook SV) version rapidly loses value and the finish could be eh, better finished!

Throw up a comment on one of the local forums like nibikers.com or biker.ie - always good for feedback or keep an eye out in the Belfast Telegraph

·
29,948 Posts
You can have too small a bike to learn on you know. I learned on a 125, and I'm 6'3" and weigh - er - well anyway. That thing was bleedin' dangerous. A 250 would have been prefect. If you can't keep up with traffic they WILL try and kill you. You just need enough oomph to keep up with everyone else. Bear tha in mind. Mine was an old CG125. Just give that some thought is all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts