Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in this weeks (22nd Nov) Motor Cycle News (UK publication), that some bonny bike riders have been suffering broken spokes. In some instances causing high speed blow outs when the broken spoke punctures the tyre/tire. I thing that is only affecting newer bikes. Have any TB or TBS riders had a similar experience?

Phil

----------------------------------
Sorry Mate I Didn't See You
----------------------------------

·
Registered
590 Posts
I know a lady whose 02 bonnie has busted a few rear spokes. Hasnt had a problem with the tyre though.
Nary a problem with my thunderbird's spokes in 85,000klms.

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
In May, when returning from the Dragon, I hit a really savage pothole on a Georgia backroad, when shaping to pass a car. The impact was so bad, I'm sure my shoulder blades met in the middle of my back and it was pretty bloody painful, quite apart from being knocked breathless.

At first the bike seemed to be OK but subsequently, there was a high-speed vibration at 80+ and sure enough, when I looked at the wheel when spinning, it was very slightly out of true but not discernably out of round. Closer inspection also revealed a loose/broken spoke - the little adjuster at the rim end must have sheared as it was spinning freely.

Nevertheless, the bike ran well enough for another 1000 miles to home where my dealer RPM sent it off to Buchanans. They replaced the broken spoke, trued and relaced the wheel and sent it back. The price was a very reasonable $145 including the shipping and also it included RPM removing/remounting/rebalancing the tyre. I was very glad to get my wheel back as mine is a 95 and so it has Akront alloy rims. It would appear that Triumph are only carrying the chrome items from later models, plus they're an arm and a leg.

In fact, that damage may have been cumulative as I had hit another bad pothole just north of DFW on 635 about two months before (really, Texas highways are appallingly maintained). So, I think the TB wheels must be a good deal stouter then the Bonnie items.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I manged to break a spoke on my Legend about 13,000 miles ago. And also had the hi-speed vibration in the front.
But the rim wasn't bent so I had a local guy replace the spoke and once or twice a season I get down there and make sure all is snug.
I have about 42,000 hard miles on my bike (riding in the NYC/TriState area) so get yourself a spoke wrench and tighten up as necessary.
Also have friend with a Bonnie who broke a rear spoke. It's a known issue amongst Bonnie owners. NTSA??? did look into it but concluded that it doesn't happen often enough to warrant any action.
My friend feels differently of course.

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
Never had a problem with my spokes in 26,000 miles. Back in 98 Triumph were using quality materials, stainless spokes and alloy rims so I would expect it to last.

The Bonnies do seem to suffer from spoke breakage, just like a Yamaha twin I used to have. The spokes had to be tightened every week- something to do with the steep angle they were laced at to fix a big drum brake to a 15" rim.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
OK... so one reports of a broken spoke and one report of a stripped nipple. :-D

All I can say is that after an impact sufficient to bend the wheel an inch out of true, spread the rim about half an inch, and bend the forks, none of my spokes broke.

As I understand it, he straightening process used by www.thewheelmaster.com is to apply very high forces to the bent wheel when straightening it while leaving the spokes in place. Also no broken spokes.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts