Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
First bike was a Suzuki TS 100. Bought it brand new in 1980, one week before my 17th birthday. My dad rode it home for me and I spent the next week riding it up and down outside the house (a quiet dead end road). Managed to cover almost 50 miles on that short 150 metre stretch of road, the day of my 17th, when I finally became legal to ride it on the road I was off, riding nearly 200 miles on that first day.

Passed my test 2 weeks later.

Prior to that I'd only ridden a bike once. my next door neighbour's dad owned a farm & he had an old Suzuki AP50. he gave me a go, so I hoiked my leg over the already started bike, put it into 1st' slowly let the clutch out and after 10 metres, hit a straw bale. That was when I was 15.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 1st ride was a 1971 Yamaha R5 350, 2 tone orange and white. I bought It in the summer of 1980 at 16, for $400.00 with money I had saved working as a bus boy.
I had been asking my parents about getting a bike for a few years.. the answer was an absolute NO!
My parents were less than pleased for breaking their rules, my Father demanded that I return the bike the next morning.
The next evening after not returning the bike, I told my Father that the guy had already spent the cash I gave him and I was stuck with it. He then told me to sell it.. I never really tried and he never brought it up again.
No surprise that I ended up being payed back with head strong children of my own!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Saved a few dollars from mowing lawns and at 15 years old bought a 1968 Benelli 125cc....not a Riverside....but a true Benelli. Beautiful bike with blue fenders and a chrome and blue tank. It ran great. Pic of me in 1969. Traded it for a 305 Honda scrambler a year later, learned to play in the dirt. Broke the bike cause I was 16 and stupid. Bought a 1971 hodaka new from funds saved working at Steak N Shake in St. Louis.Sold it to go to college. But from that Benelli, I was hooked. All I really ever wanted was a Triumph Bonneville. Now I got one!:)

1969 - 1968 Benelli 125cc.jpg

Ahhh, memories.

·
Registered
1982 T140
4 Posts
My dad came home when I was about 8 with a Honda XL175. The first thing I did was whiskey throttle it straight into a barbed wire fence. Fun times!

not my Honda but looked like this

EE9ED312-CDBA-431D-9D57-98F9E48C219C.jpeg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dad came home with a 82 yz 80. I soon found out I wasn't much into the Motocross scene but off the starts I could fly. After turned 16 and parents saw the way I drove they weren't to keen on me and owning a street bike especially after my evil knievel brother took out a stop sign with his leg while doing 135mph wheelie on ninja 900. So I had to wait to get my gs 650e when I was in my 20s which succumbed to a 90mph high speed wobble turned high side and supermaned me down the street passing cars traveling thru the air.

It's all good , I calmed down when I got ducati 750 paso. Sold that to stay in house with woman. Should sold her.

So now I have 955i. Under construction in the house. Lol. Yea...woman's gone
IMG_20201120_221607793.jpg

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
A used Honda S90 that I bought in 1970 when I was in college. I needed an easier way of getting around than hitchhiking, walking, and riding buses. I had very little money. It cost $100.

I rode it for three years, and often carried friends on the back. It never stopped running, and I never did anything to it except put air in the tires and gasoline in the tank. I never changed the oil, didn't know how. They really were indestructible. In 1973, I bought a Honda CB450.

After being parked for several more years under the back porch of my best friend's grandparents' house, they finally told us in no uncertain terms to get rid of the little Honda. I don't remember what we did with it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My first motorcycle was a 1953 Harley in 1956. It was a basket case so I was able to afford it while in High School because I had a weekly paper route. I also worked in a General Merchandise store after school and on Saturdays. My job there included everything from installing new tires on cars to installing TV antennas in trees (that's before there was cable TV).

I put the classy looking Harley together with a 1949 Chrome Springer front end that came with it and I added a way ahead of its time bright purple paint job. The Harley had a foot operated suicide clutch which turned out to be a real challenge for this fairly new biker.

I took it for a first ride as soon as I had it together even tho the idle was stuck at about 3,000 rpm's.

At the only traffic light in town I pulled up behind a car with the idle racing away, and the bike in gear. With that I started to fall to the left. Instinctively, I slipped my foot off the clutch to put it on the ground so I wouldn't fall over. WRONG !

The bike leaped forward and hit the rear bumper of the car in front of me. It stopped the front wheel dead and shot me over the handlebars on to the trunk of the car just as it started to take off at the light. I rolled off the car trunk without injury to me or the bike. The bike didn't die and it had no key or kill switch.

I yanked a couple of wires until I found one that killed it. By that time a number of people and cars found their way into the intersection to watch the antics. Obviously Round 1 went to the Harley. It was my first ride on my very own bike, and I crashed ! Must say, it was a rather challenging and memorable debut to my 64 years of motorcycle riding.

After that the Harley and I got along a lot better, however it had its quirks like it must have been a stripper in a previous lifetime the way it liked shedding parts from time to time, it also leaked a bit of oil most of the time, and it loved to be pushed fairly often.

After a few years I decided to upgrade from the about 1200cc Caddie type of billowy ride to a 650cc BMW sport style ride with a Bonneville. As they say, being a Bonneville fan, the rest is history.

·
Registered
19 Posts
1F98CFE9-06CA-499E-ACA2-19404EFD8395_1_201_a.jpeg

First Bike Summer 1960 DMW 197cc PASSED TEST within 2 weeks first trip up to North Queensferry Scotland ( camping very wet ) from Hull East Yorks , a week later, as I was in the Army and had been posted to 1 PRD RASC Westmoors Dorset 300 miles away 10 hour journey very short Motorway section in the midlands , rearly enjoyed the Roads down from Oxford to near Bournemouth + Salisbury Plain and the New Forest took the bike to Germany 1961

·
Registered
24 Posts
My first bike was an orange '75 Honda CL360 purchased from a family friend with money earned delivering pizzas. At the time (17 years old in 1985), I thought it was all the size and power I would ever need... 🤣
I picked one up last year for my nephew to learn on. I promised his dad that the bike is so docile/anemic, it would be very difficult for him to get into serious trouble with it.
So far, I was right.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts