Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody! It seems to me that for everyone, the first bike is something special. And everyone has different stories related to the appearance of this bike. And I thought it would be cool to share the story of how you got your first bike and how you could make money for it.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Mine 1st bike was a Suzuki TS50 something like this

not much of a story about how I managed to buy it, parents paid for it as I was just 16 and leaving school to start an apprenticeship and needed transport to and from technical college, luckily I somehow convinced my parents this was a better option than taking 2 buses each way.

As it was (in theory) restricted to 30mph and me being an inquisitive teenager who liked taking things apart, it had to endure my primitive tuning attempts including some porting by hand file, drilling the air box and rejetting by guesswork.

Somehow it still managed to get me to college in all weathers for a year and coped with some amateur off-roading whilst hitting the heady heights off almost 50mph flat out, and AFAIK only seized once requiring a re-bore/piston.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
BSA Dandy aged 5 , birthday present , that's the throttle , that's the brake let the clutch out and off you go . With my blown mind ( so much power and speed ) I forgot how to turn or stop , did manage the falling off bit OK .

·
Registered
656 Posts
My first bike was a prewar hand gear change 125cc, two stroke Villiers engined, James. No log book and not road legal, bought off a mate for £3 / 10 shillings, that's £3.50 for the younger Brits who didn't know about proper money pre decimalisation.
I was 14 and doing 2 paper rounds so earnt 30 shillings a week, therefore not very difficult to buy it. At that time (1964) it was illegal (still is) to use a untaxed and insured etc machine on the road, even pushing it was illegal, plus you were supposed to be 16 and have a licence. No problem for a "Jack the Lad" type that I thought I was then.
My mate lived on a large council estate in Christchurch, some distance from my grandparent's house where I was going to keep it, so early on a Sunday morning after my paper round, I rode it as quietly as possible the few miles distance and was not seen by PC Plod as we called our local policeman who cycled around our local villages on the edge of the New Forest.

For the next 18 months or so that bike did me well for learning the basics of both riding and keeping an old vehicle going. Looking back I was rather stupid using it on the public highways as if caught, the provisional licence that I got at 16 would not have been granted to me, as well as a big fine from the courts. Oh the confidence of youth, or is that stupidity?🤔

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
My first bike was a prewar hand gear change 125cc, two stroke Villiers engined, James. No log book and not road legal, bought off a mate for £3 / 10 shillings, that's £3.50 for the younger Brits who didn't know about proper money pre decimalisation.
I was 14 and doing 2 paper rounds so earnt 30 shillings a week, therefore not very difficult to buy it. At that time (1964) it was illegal (still is) to use a untaxed and insured etc machine on the road, even pushing it was illegal, plus you were supposed to be 16 and have a licence. No problem for a "Jack the Lad" type that I thought I was then.
My mate lived on a large council estate in Christchurch, some distance from my grandparent's house where I was going to keep it, so early on a Sunday morning after my paper round, I rode it as quietly as possible the few miles distance and was not seen by PC Plod as we called our local policeman who cycled around our local villages on the edge of the New Forest.

For the next 18 months or so that bike did me well for learning the basics of both riding and keeping an old vehicle going. Looking back I was rather stupid using it on the public highways as if caught, the provisional licence that I got at 16 would not have been granted to me, as well as a big fine from the courts. Oh the confidence of youth, or is that stupidity?🤔
stupidity , definitely stupid , know the condition well ( started on the road at 12 ) .

·
Registered
656 Posts
stupidity , definitely stupid , know the condition well ( started on the road at 12 ) .
Probably the side roads were quieter on the edge of the Lake District back in the early 1960's ?
However anywhere with tourism is "troublesome" in the summer months, especially Keswick when the religious fortnight is on, as I remember so well when Billy Graham came there to preach, (1975 ?)

Must admit that that type of stupidity lasts a lifetime ;)😂😂😂

·
Super Moderator
2,790 Posts
My first bike was 1969 Yamaha 90cc enduro stripped down to be a dirt bike. I was a freshman in high school.
Bought it from a kid in school for $75. Ugly as ever so I cleaned it all up & my dad repainted the tank and it turned out real nice. It was a great first bike to learn how to ride and work on bikes.
My folks really did not want me to have a bike but I had been working and earning my own money since the 5th grade so I pretty much overruled them and bought it. I was a pretty independent kid. Work for what I have and have what I want.

Reactions: 49erx2

·
Registered
180 Posts
My first bike was a 1977 Honda CB750 that I bought from a friend of a friend who owned a moto shop he was liquidating. It was well maintained, but had a ripped seat (duct taped) a four into one exhaust, and the lights on the clocks didn't work. I went straight from a 250 MSF provided Honda Rebel that I rode for 16 hours... to this. I basically did nothing to it other than replace a cracked brake light, put on a new seat cover... and that's about it. I bought it in September, rode it for two months and in March of the next year, because I wanted to do long distance riding and didn't trust this bike to make it, I traded it in for a 2000 Suzuki Marauder VZ800. I came back to the dealer I sold it to a year later and they said it finally sold after leaking oil all over the floor, to someone making a cafe racer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
1971 Yamaha CT-175. Everyone had a dirt bike and I was working out of High school. The "gang" rode all over SE Kansas climbing hills and tearing it up. Would ride to Bartlesville. OK to ride gov. land and then ride home! Seems like it would go about 65 wide open, so we rode about 60. Oh for the seventies, The folks did seem to worry much about us. A few scrapes and banged up from crashes, lived thru the deal.

Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
The first bike I bought with my own money was a Honda VFR 750. It was in 2001. I was 22 years old. She was 20 :)))) Bought her for 1000€ in a visualy rough condition, after a small accident. I fixed the cosmetic issues but from the mechanical point of view everything worked as it should.

I went from a small 50cc bike. So it was quite a challange to learn to ride on a big bike like this. But she forgived a lot. So I am still here!

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
When I was a kid, I worked odd jobs - mowing, window washing, golf driving range, babysitting, etc., and bought a minibike from the hardware store.

I decided to get a street bike when I was in my mid 20's. Looked at a few used Honda 4s before deciding I could get a smaller new motorcycle for about the same money. I bought a new '76 Honda CJ360T for well under $1,000. I think the insurance cost $28 for the first year.

Reactions: slofut

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Probably the side roads were quieter on the edge of the Lake District back in the early 1960's ?
However anywhere with tourism is "troublesome" in the summer months, especially Keswick when the religious fortnight is on, as I remember so well when Billy Graham came there to preach, (1975 ?)

Must admit that that type of stupidity lasts a lifetime ;)😂😂😂
I was in Derbyshire then , the police even trained off road on our farm ( we had a scrambles track and trials ground ).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bought one of these used in 1977 saved up $200 from my paper route. I was 12 years old it was in my neighbors shed for years. Cleaned carb and changed oil ran great! Remember putting a huge Trelborg 17" knobby on it and it killed the power! I think it was only around 9 hp
1605828848020.png

·
Registered
197 Posts
1960 Silver Pigeon C74 scooter purchased for $125. My Dad worked with the guy I bought it from...$100 down and 5 bucks a months until it was paid off. I was a happy 15 year old! I'm sure Dad gave him the whole price, although he never told me that. This was in 1963. That bike and it's imitation Cushman Husky engine taught me a lot...

·
Premium Member
17,527 Posts
My first bike was left to me by my grandfather. The last time I saw him was in his house. He asked if there was anything in particular I wanted. I don’t think it was a coincidence that we were in the garage at the time, standing by that bike.

I rode it for years. He had been hit by a couple of cars on it, but they never took him or it out. Turned out they had bent the front wheel a fair bit out of round. Used to get quite a shake above about 60. So when I figured it out, I got a new front wheel. Found the factor 4 into 4 exhaust at the same time.

I put some rear sets on it, but they are gone now. I still have this bike; I’m in the process of getting it back on the road. Started this summer, current projections have it back on the road in 2021. Or 28. Something soon.

·
Registered
481 Posts
During the summer school break in 1975, I rode my bicycle up to the local motorcycle shop to apply for a summer job (Lovengreen Motorcycle Sales in Tampa), I was 14 years old at the time. I walked up to the parts counter and I asked the man for a job. To my surprise he said, you have to talk to the owner Big John Lovengreen over there in that office. The whole front of his office was all glass and it overlooked the sales floor and the parts counter. Big John Lovengreen was a tall big round man, kind of an intimidating type. So I went over and knocked and he waved me in.

I told him that I was looking for a job for the summer and he asked me, what do you know about motorcycles? I said that I had a 1972 3.5 HP Montgomery Wards mini bike and that I could fix anything on it that needed fixing. He said to me, I'll tell you what kid, if you can make it through the summer without missing a day, and without being late, I wont pay you any money, but I'll let you pick out any motorcycle up to 250cc. So all summer I cleaned bikes, the bathrooms, swept the floors, cleaned the parking lot, emptied garbage cans, cleaned and organized the parts room and did any other grunt work type of chore that they saw fit. On my last day there, Big John let me pick out a Kawasaki 250 Enduro street/trail, I had never been so happy. I was the coolest kid in the neighborhood because I was the only one who had a real motorcycle. I've been hooked on riding ever since.

·
Registered
1983 Honda shadow bobber, 2006 Suzuki sv650s, 2002 triumph 955i sprint
2 Posts
My first bike was a 1983 Honda shadow all bobbed out. I got her for $900 and I ate cup of noodles for like a month to save to get her XD after my mm passed away in 2018 I was running from anyone and everything totally mid life chrisis at age 30. So I decided to get a bike thinking it would help me run from my problems faster, but the reality was that I was instantly welcomed in to the motorcycle community with open arms and I felt love again and built friendships. So no here I am 2 years later a sober member of society and owner of 3 bikes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
One dayin 1983 I wandered into a dealer on a whim and was disappointed to learn that I wasn't allowed to ride away on the cool belt-drive Kawasaki 305 cruiser in the window. I had my first real job and a cash deposit burning a hole in my pocket. Learner laws restricted me to 250cc maximum. So I chose a Yamaha RD250LC like this, with chin spoiler and bikini fairing but red stripes.

Lucky choice for me! At the time, the little water cooled two stroke was one of the fastest learner legal bikes in existence, and I had great fun with it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts