Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket. If you were given one thousand dollars, how would you upgrade your classic triple ( assuming that you do not have TBS suspension or brakes )?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I'm transforming my TBS into a cafe racer, so I'd buy the following: Clip on bars, a fender eliminator, smaller turn signals, single seat with cowl, fork gaiters, and a different air cleaner. I got excited just typing that. :)

Kem

·
Registered
569 Posts
Depends on what you use it for. If you tour, a highway bar and comfy seat are good mods. If you want to carve, get an adjustable rear shock and progressive springs. If you want more power, get free flowing exhaust, S3 cams and hack/replace the airbox (save plenty for dyno time). I've done most of these already (all but the rear shock). If I had a thousand bucks, I'd buy a thunderbike 3-1 and ditch the D&D 3-3 I'm running now. Touring this spring isn't going to be all that enjoyable with the extreme noise level. Almost makes me want to go back to stock.....almost.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Remotely adjustable preload shock (Hagon?). Tune the forks (springs, oil, dampening rod kit if necessary). New handlebars/risers/mirrors to make the seating position correct (first, in control, second, confortable). Same with the seat and pegs (seat and pegs first). The TBS/Kawi adjustable brake/clutch levers (short arm if possible). High ouput headlight bulb (especially the high beam). Good tires. Belt conversion (especially if you are going to travel). Small windshield (just to take the pressure off the chest). A horn that actually makes sound (went for the Stebel micro airhorn myself). Don't forget the cramp buster type lever for the throttle grip. Better brake pads to see if it is enough brake. Tank bag & saddle bags to fit your bike (and needs). Back rack for 2 up riding/trips.

Something for every Christmas budget ($10 to $900). Of course, the budget killers are the belt conversion, then the shock, seat. But things I would consider. I'd wait for engine power enhancements until the rest was ready so I could ride all I wanted to in comfort.

·
Read Only
296 Posts
How odd, This is EXACTLY the situation i find myself in. In order of Importance to me.

1- Hagon Rear shock, £250 (already got the prog fronts)
2- Lower and narrower handlebars. £30
3- Thunderbike 3-1 system (see my thunderbike advise thread). £380
4- Sprint Manufacturing comfort seat. £180ish
5- K&N pod filters and dynojet kit. (not priced this one yet)

If theres any cash left then,

6- some sexy mirrors and indicators.

Wayne

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the great suggestions, friends!

I've already got racetech springs, hagon rear, scottoiler, gaiters, and heated grips.

I think I'm going to copy Rincewind's handlebars and bar-end mirrors as seen in his photos.
Next, I'm going for a flat black jet-hot coating on the headers.
And a smaller sport-ish windshield from National Cycle.
I will also finally install the higher TB drop links and longer side stand.

I'd really love to get a single-cowl seat, but there are so many issues with adding one to a Legend.

Brakes and power aren't really interesting me. Do you power junkies really get a large difference from stock? Looking seat-of-the-pants, real-world-usable power, not power on a line graph. I think the Legend's front brake is good enough. Again, is there a significant difference with a caliper upgrade?

·
Registered
540 Posts
if you ride hard on occasions then a better front caliper and mastercylinder are highly recommended.I have a Harrison 6 pot and a 2nd hand cylinder off a Kawasaki.I would not be without it. Best upgrade is Triumph offroad silencers.It's all about the noise from that triple engine.Flat bars are also good.
That would be your money spent well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts