Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 weeks now with the bike and all those lovely little adjustments are calling to me. "Turn me, adjust me, screw me up". :rolleyes:
Not really, but now that I've had a few times in the saddle I've made some observations. The bike has a tendency to kick me off the seat on anything over a small bump and while my headlights are good at the light they climb up and blind most cars once moving. And the front seems real aggressive on turning, like it wants to dive in.
I'm 205 @ 5'8" so I would say a little heavier then the normal rider. I don't plan on carrying a passenger and I'm not expecting the ride of a Gold Wing. The bike is comfortable for the most part, I would just like to get it setup for my likings. Is there a good guide/forum/book to give me a general understanding of the bike's suspension?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
The quickest fix would be to find a local race suspension tuner in your area and have them set the Sag and compression and rebound for your weight and riding style.

If you are wanting to learn how to do it all yourself, then check out this website and order his dvd's

http://www.feelthetrack.com/

Dave is a premiere suspension tuner and also races a 675. You will find a ton of great information on his site.

TripleThreat

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's really nobody local and I'm thinking if anything changes at least I'll have the knowledge to make the corrections myself. Thanks for the link, looks interesting.

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
The stock rear spring is very stiff, too. If you really start getting into it, you may want to replace it with a different one, although at over 200 lbs, it might be about right for you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stock rear spring is very stiff, too. If you really start getting into it, you may want to replace it with a different one, although at over 200 lbs, it might be about right for you.
I read in the manual the rear preload is preset and not adjustable. Is that a definite or rather a suggestion? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Rear preload is adjustable. The two collars at the top of the spring can be backed off to reduce preload. The upper collar serves to lock the lower collar in place and prevent it from backing off.

TripleThreat

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
The manual also tells you you will die if you exceed the speed limit. Not that anybody here would ever try it to find out... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Now, I know this is off topic but I was just reading this post and I can't help but wonder why an advertising for Ducati's 848 keeps poping up on a Triumph web site?

It's like some hot chick teasing you at the restaurant when you are out with your girlfriend which is just as hot! It just does not sit well with me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now, I know this is off topic but I was just reading this post and I can't help but wonder why an advertising for Ducati's 848 keeps poping up on a Triumph web site?

It's like some hot chick teasing you at the restaurant when you are out with your girlfriend which is just as hot! It just does not sit well with me.
Firefox/Adblock Plus. Problem solved!

·
Registered
37 Posts

My guess is that Ducati thinks Triumph owners have money to spend :D
And back on topic, see if you can get someone knowledgeable to set your front and rear sag. Play with preload and rebound and make sure you take notes so you're not chasing a rabbit in the dark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts