Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Does anyone out there know how to turn off the sevice light on a 2002 Sprint RS 955i, with paying a large amount to a dealers garage?:confused:

·
Premium Member
24,388 Posts
Welcome mat out

Hi and welcome to the forum cybernelson:)

Do you mean the engine check light on the dash board?

If this is what you mean;

If so three heat cycles may clear it, if it does not you will need either a Tuneboy or a dealer with the gameboy diagnostic tool to clear it.

If it does not clear within the three heat cycles you may have a problem that needs resolving.

There are far more technically able folks here than myself who will say if I have made a hash of my answer:p.

Don and I also ask all our noobs if they could please read our forum stickies. thanks.:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
No, good answer....I had to do the same a few days ago.......and wasn't sure of the "cool down" figure......

SO, I warmed the motah 'till the fan kicked in, then off (at the switch) and let it cool for about a good 2-3 hours....."low"
was on't display when I fired it up.....did this, and after the third run, the mil had disappeared..........( I turned the ignition on, with the wiring disconnected, so triggered the mil function)

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
A single warm-up cycle is defined as:

• Coolant must be raised to > 72 C
  • After 72 C coolant must be raised by 23 C from start temp
  • Controlled Power down must take place

In simple terms start it up & let temp come up till fan kicks in, then let it cool off below 72 deg; repeat a couple more times.

The defining criteria is that it must have three FAULT-FREE heat cycles in order to extinguish the light. If the fault that tripped it to begin with is still actively bad, then light will remain on.

DaveM said:
If so three heat cycles may clear it, if it does not you will need either a Tuneboy or a dealer with the gameboy diagnostic tool to clear it.

If it does not clear within the three heat cycles you may have a problem that needs resolving.
If it does NOT clear within three heat cycles, then yes - Tuneboy or Gameboy can clear the light, but it likely means the problem is still there and needs further investigation, as Dave suggests.

It's worth running a fourth cycle in case you did not complete a full cycle adequately per the temp requirements

The big question is "why did the light come on" ?
Unless you know the cause (like turning ignition on with fuel pump, or a sensor, disconnected - even momentarily) or you have a low battery, charging problem, then it is advisable to have the trigger code pulled to identify the cause of the error.

Frequently after someone does maintenance involving tank &/or airbox removal, they get an MIL afterwards because the ignition was turned on when something disconnected.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Can't you just use an OBDII code reader to clear fault codes instead of a Tune/gameboy? Those are pretty cheap nowadays too.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I kept getting the light on on my Tiger although the heat cycles would turn it off again (I did put a bit of black tape over the light as it is quite bright). I wanted to know what is was so bought an OBD reader from:

http://www.talktomycar.co.uk/products/codereaders/codereaders.htm

As you can see they are cheap and immediately told me what the problem was and allowed me to turn the light off (and fix the problem a loose wire on the temperature sender).

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Certain motor vehicle manufacturers are required by various countries to include emission control maintenance OBD diagnostics in their vehicles. You will find that any OBD II reader can read the fault codes generated by malfunctioning emission control components.

Manufacturers have individually taken that capability further by including various other proprietary diagnostics into their systems. The generic readers do not have the capability to read the proprietary codes, or do any trouble shooting beyond the emissions control system.

Code descriptions are readily available through Google.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks DaveM, I'll take it for three good blasts and see where its at.
I'll let you know the result. cheers.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replys guys.

I took the bike in the other day to get the rear brake caliper fixed. and the problem since it came out??:confused:
I'll keep you all updated with the results.:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts