Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for ways to rise the horsepower on my striple without changing to a 3-1. I like the two stock cans under the seat and might be willing to get some slip ons (no carbon fiber... I hate the look of carbon fiber) but I hear they dont really add any power. Any suggestions.

P.S. No offense to you guys who love carbon fiber, it's just not my style.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Which bring up the question: Is the header on the 3-1 system any larger than stock?

If it's not any bigger in diameter would you not see the same hp gains using the Arrow slip ons? The slip ons do come with a re-map.

Curious as to any hp differences between the Arrow 3-1 vs the Arrow slip ons.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The arrow exhause are not larger diameter, but flow more air because they aren't restricted.
You can go with the Triumph T.O.R slip on's, and get just about the same hp increase as the Arrows and the Triumph slip on's look just like the stock set up.
It is how I went w/ my Speed Triple, but I still thinking the Arrow 3 into 1 is the best set up, because of the weight savings.
I am still trying to wrap my head around justifying the Arrows high cost.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I really dont know if there is a diff in the 3-1 or slip on, just things I read lead me to believe there is. I'm not very knowledgeable about haw exhaust effects the power of a bike. My father has been riding and fixing Harleys for 30+ years and he seems to thick the 3-1 will give the best results but I don't like the look. I was thinking about a K&N air filter and I see these power comanders on Ebay but I don't know how well they work, any advise?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Not much of a hp difference between the T.O.R and Arrow 3 and 1 other than weight. But the weight savings is very significant.
You will need to get a different tune installed in the bike, I would recommend letting your Triumph dealer install the lastest from Triumph. A power commander is another good option, but you will need to know what your doing to use it.
There is a lot of information on exhaust systems and tuning on this site, just do a search on exhaust. Also there is some HP information here too.

·
Registered
483 Posts
A Power Commander set up with a dynamometer will give you the most bang for your buck. TuneBoy is another option. Using a Dyno for either set up is the key to max power gain. JMHO

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi BRich.

I also wanted to keep my bike physically standard.

I went down the TuneBoy route for a variety of reasons.

I didn't actually get a dyno run done with the standard mapping, so I don't know exactly how much extra HP I picked up. It certainly wouldn't be a large number, maybe 1.5 or so.

I did find that using the TOR mapping, even with the stock standard bike gave a bit better mid range.

Once the TOR mapping got refined on a dyno run, it improved again.

TuneBoy is, however, quite an expensive option and may not suit everyone.

If you have a good relationship with your Triumph dealer, try the TOR mapping on the standard bike, I think you might like it.

Frankly, changing the mufflers is much more of a weight saving plan than a way of gaining significant extra horsepower.

regards,CrazyCam

·
Registered
327 Posts
Loose some weight, that's the best and cheapest way to get a better power to weight ratio.I'm about 145lb and my bike is quicker than my mates who is 215lb.Diet=more performance

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL :D Doggy675. Your probably right, I weigh 230 lbs and am 6'2". If i go on a diet and shave 5" off my legs I may go faster.:D

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well the theory is that the slip ons are so expensive because of all the R & D that Triumph and Arrow put into the development of the mapping and the design of the whole system. Also the slip ons are only going to be available through a Triumph dealer. Lots of 3 - 1 systems on ebay but I have yet to see the Arrow slip ons.
Personally I think every bike should come with a secondary fuel map.
Stock gets the bike through the strick EURO 3 testing then the dealer loads the secondary map which makes the bike perform better.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks for the link. I did a search on this site and really didn't come up with anything useful.

very useful info

·
Registered
233 Posts
Honestly, the biggest difference a slip on is going to make is weight savings (which I consider more important because it can help handling AND speed/acceleration), a HP or 2 is not going to be noticeable to most mortals.

No matter what pipe, a remap (tuneboy, PC or whatever) is neccesary to realize any gain, otherwise it's just going to run leaner, hotter, louder and possibly have all sorts of peaks and valleys in the powerband.

Zane

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well here's the link to the dyno graphs. ... [/url]
Those dyno charts do seem quite impressive.

Unfortunately, Mr. TuneBoy doesn't seem to answer any e-mails on these tunes.

I certainly didn't see numbers as high, when I had my Streetie on the dyno, and this was the same dyno as Wayne (Mr. TuneBoy) is reputed to use.

My chart is here:http://street.lindata.se/20198TOR+Mods.jpg

regards,CrazyCam

·
Super Moderator
4,747 Posts
Those dyno charts do seem quite impressive.

Unfortunately, Mr. TuneBoy doesn't seem to answer any e-mails on these tunes.

I certainly didn't see numbers as high, when I had my Streetie on the dyno, and this was the same dyno as Wayne (Mr. TuneBoy) is reputed to use. ...
Well my main questions would be do you know what the temp, humidity, baro pressure were when he tested? If you do you can set the dyno to correct to that and adjust your hp numbers. If you have ever seen any very weird dyno numbers that is why.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I personally prefer the look of the Arrow slip-ons to the 3 in 1 but I only paid $799 for my Arrow 3 in 1 on eBay.
I just couldn't justify spending more money ($820 is the lowest I have seen for the slip ons on eBay) for more weight and less power.

Besides a better sound, a slight increase in power and weight savings a well designed slip on (which I'm sure the Arrow is) will also provide the added benefit of better throttle response.

BTW, anyone knows what air filter should be used with the Arrow 3 in 1 and the Triumph Arrow map?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Well my main questions would be do you know what the temp, humidity, baro pressure were when he tested? If you do you can set the dyno to correct to that and adjust your hp numbers. If you have ever seen any very weird dyno numbers that is why.
Oh, yes. I am aware of the variables involved.

As I said, the dyno I used is "believed" to be the same one as Wayne uses, or certainly used, as the operator had learnt how to drive the TuneBoy program from the author (Wayne).

That dyno does an automated calculation on temp. humidity, and air pressure, to try and equalise numbers.

I'm actually happy with the results of my bike's dyno session, I only posted to highlight that the numbers shown in the charts which TuneBoy has published, may not be achievable in every case.

Frankly, I'd love to be able to explain the difference, which seems to me to be significant, but, if Wayne won't reply to e-mails <shrug> what can I say?

regards,
CrazyCam

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Further to CrazyCam's advice :idea:, I just had the TOR tune re-installed on my bike, free of charge, WITH the standard cans (I used to run TOR cans but, sorry, they were way too loud).

My "seat-of-the-pants" verdict?

* A definitely punchier engine as from 3'000 rpm's all the way up to the red zone.
* A marginal, "perceived" torque shortfall below that.
* No impact whatsoever on idling (the dealer feared it would become erratic) or on MPG (not a worry of mine, anyway).

So yes, if you are looking for a free --or at least affordable (depending on your dealer's labour rate)-- power boost, just ask for the TOR tune. It's good for 2-3 add'l RWHP IMO.

Another "cheap" trick is the K&N air filter. With it, you'll get a pleasantly throaty intake sound and, arguably, yet another pony.

The two, i.e. the TOR mapping with the std pipes and the K&N filter are perfectly compatible with each other, BTW. They are also street-legal (Euro3 constraints aside) , for those of you who care.

Best. Jamie :Wave:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts