Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'20 Scrambler 1200XE
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short: I sold a brand new / never used Low Seat via ebay to someone in California, and it seems the US Customs or shipping company tried to open the package, making small tears / cuts in the fabric.
  1. is this something that can easily be repaired? if so, should it be at the Triumph dealer, or else?
  2. is it actually leather or an imitation leather fabric?
Hood Grille Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Water Snout Fish Human leg Close-up

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
18,419 Posts
Hard to be sure from those photos, but I'd say artificial., not real leather. How obvious is the location shown on the second photo? If you just want a practical water seal fix, get some liquid electrical tape. Dab it on sparingly (for appearance sake) and once you've covered the cut, you're done.

If that's not good enough for you, you've really got once choice - remove the seat cover and replace it. It's not rocket science, but it takes a little time and if you're brand new to this kind of work, you might need to do it a couple of times before you get a result you're happy with. There are plenty of youTube videos about recovering a motorcycle seat. There is absolutely no reason that Triumph has to be involved.

·
Registered
'20 Scrambler 1200XE
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your recommendations @HiDesert ! It's a brand new / unused seat, cuts/tears probably happened during shipping. I don't intend to keep the seat (I have the original seat, this one is the Low Seat version). The reason I was mentioning Triumph is that they might be able to replace the cover altogether, so I can sell the seat again in a New condition.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
18,419 Posts
Ah, I see. There's a chance the cover may be a part you can purchase separately from the rest of the seat. If possible, that might be your best option.

·
Registered
2018 Speedmaster
219 Posts
+1 on going to a local furniture store. I did that once and got a new seat cover for a 98 Intruder installed for $60, it lasted for another 10 years including several years parked outside. Or if you search on ebay you can buy premade seat covers that you staple on your self. Just warm it with a hair dryer and stretch it into place as you staple.

·
Registered
928 Posts
if they are not leather, there are vinyl repair kit that can fix small jobs; comes in different color tubs where you can mix to match your color as close as possible, spread over small cuts to seal it from cracking further; they also comes with some fine cloth to line up under bigger cuts.... this might be a short term fix instead of getting the whole seat recovered.

pic for example only; not product recommendation
Product Font Line Material property Red

1 - 10 of 10 Posts