Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'd like to remove my speedo from its bracket and black plastic boot, so i can try to fix the trip reset
the black plastic spins in the bracket but its not obvious (yet) how to free it from there
i don't want to damage it, so would appreciate your help
thanks
rory

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Plastic? Mine are rubber boots and you just pry the speedo out with strong fingers? I have a '75 and an '82. What year model is your bike?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine's a 76
mine looks more like soft plastic than rubber, but i'll take your word for it
pull the speedo out while its still in the boot in the bracket?
does the trip knob come out with the speedo?
thanks
rory

·
7,415 Posts
Hi Rory,

If the speedo. is a genuine Smiths, the trip reset knob pulls out of the speedo.; you'd be wise to do this before attempting to remove the speedo. itself from the rubber (it is rubber :)) moulding, especially as the speedo. is then more likely to simply push out of the moulding.

Otoh, if the speedo. is a pattern (one indication can be lack of a "Smiths" logo on the face), the trip knob isn't removable; if the rubber moulding is so hard it feels like plastic, wiser to cut it off rather than risk breaking off the trip knob trying to get it out of a rubber moulding you'll probably discard anyway?

The advice I've received from the guy I use for speedos. 'n' tachos. is the pattern ones aren't fixable, because the needle has to be broken off to remove the face, to get at the innards, then there aren't any spare needles that'll fit. However, it's obviously up to you whether you try anyway.

If the rubber moulding is old and stiff but you manage to remove the speedo. without damaging the moulding, I've had some success rescuing old rubber mouldings by spraying them with copious amounts of cheap furniture polish and kneading it into the moulding for several minutes - cheap furniture polishes certainly here in GB have silicone in 'em, which synthetic rubber likes.

pull the speedo out while its still in the boot in the bracket?
My T100 has the same rubber mouldings for speedo. 'n' tacho. but mounted in a Triples Rule bracket rather than the mickey-mouse standard tin brackets; I have to remove speedo. or tacho. from its moulding before removing moulding from bracket.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i think mine is an original, so i'll try your method stuart
other things have intervened, so it might be a while
speedo.JPG

·
Premium Member
9,831 Posts
They do have a tendency to vibrate and rotate
A cure is to use silicone to stop this and maybe someone was a bit enthusiastic?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks all for your advice
got the speedo out while still in the boot - from the top - pretty easy
pulled the trip knob out first
sprayed some garage door lubricant down the trip knob hole and hey presto, the reset works again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts