Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK all you Northern Hemisphereans, help me out here.

I've just bought a '98 Sprint Executive with 20,000km (12,500 miles) on it from an elderly owner.

First owner bought it new, then went to the UK for a holiday and didn't come back for 5 years!

The second owner bought it from the 75 year old and is a sprightly 61 year old who only managed to put 300km on it due to injury and ill health.. (Which I guess is about 180 miles)

Anyway, now it's in my safe custody.

Given that we Australians don't put our bikes away for the winter (lucky if we get a frost once every couple of years where I live), my question is:

1) What should I do/check/look out for in a bike that has been stored this long before awakening it?

Naturally, I will chuck out any fuel in the tank, change the oil and put a new battery in it. I'm also considering throwing the tyres away- but as I mainly commute, tyres that are turning into Bakelite might be good at 60km/h in suburban Sydney. (just kidding)

Anyway, I am under orders to liberate my current '95 Sprint, which will be returned to 'stock standard', except for a Corbin seat, rear shock with only 12,500 miles on it, and a spare set of stock exhaust pipes that are virtually new and sell it......

Any advice gratefully received....
:???:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Perhaps the tyres are ok enough to get the bike down to the Tyre shop? Maybe change all fluids and consider replacing brake lines with stainless, if not already! Probably some ignition issues will show, cleaning the low tension side of the coils and connectors is a good idea - plugs? Lube chain - Airfilter,synch carbs, clean, polish.... na - Ride! :razz:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Since I live in a northern area and routinely "wake-up" my bikes........

I'd also advise not only chucking the fuel in the tank, but in the carb bowls also. This is a a carbed model, not FI.
You may want to go one step further and do a rebuild or at least a carb dip to clear all the passages. The jets can get clogged and fuel can turn to varnish.

Tyre/tires....probably flat spotted or sidewalls are cracked from rot. The chain if it hasn't moved in 5 years, will probably have a kink in it.

SS lines for brakes are always a good addition, at least change/flush the fluid.

Usually nothing major and more of your labor involved than a
shops labor. Give a very good look over, put a wrench on every nut and bolt you can see and find.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for those tips..

I already have Goodridge braided SS lines on my current ride, a '95 Sprint, so I will definitely be swapping all the good aftermarket bits I have put on it (Gen-Mar bar risers, brand new WP shockie, Racetech springs and Gold Valves, Corbin seat. etc... before I put the other one on the market.

Frankly, I'd rather keep my old Sprint for spares, because the motor is still excellent with very high compression, is not using oil and has had the dreaded sprag clutch on the started replaced, along with the timing chain while the engine was out- and as other T300 owners probably know, that is not a cheap repair! My old one has done 127,000km (which is what? 75,000 miles?) and feels like it will happily go another 100,000.

Anyway, She Who Must Be Obeyed, has declared my old Sprint a superfluous and unecessary toy that must be sacrificed on the mortgage altar of rationality.

If you know anyone planning a motorcycle tour of Australia, this is a great bike to do it on. (and cheap too if you come from the US or UK and buy it in Aussie dollars with your currency!). Anyway, my '95 (with a Corbin seat) will be on the market at the end of January...I have all receipts for servicing and maintainence since it was new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts