Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
1. what if it's fallen on the kickstand side (probably more likely)

and

2. Get a bike that weighs a reasonable amount then you either wouldnt have dropped it in the first place or would be able to simply pick it back up without grinding it across the floor.

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
1. what if it's fallen on the kickstand side (probably more likely)

and

2. Get a bike that weighs a reasonable amount then you either wouldnt have dropped it in the first place or would be able to simply pick it back up without grinding it across the floor.
Ignore Victor Meldrew, all he ever does is put stuff down and has zero creative input. He`d argue with a signpost.

It was a good post and will no doubt be a lot of use to returning riders on here, as well as rider`s wives. Even the most experienced riders drop bikes, I`ve been riding for over 30 years and about 6 months ago I dropped my T100 in the garage, taking it off the paddock stand. I was lucky, the bike landed on a milk crate that I use to sit on whilst working on the bike, so no scratches but boy was it hard to lift up! I used the method described in the video.

Thanks for sharing! :)

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
It's something that should be practiced for newer or smaller riders. I taught this to my GF, but on a solo trip last fall, after she failed to completely extend the kickstand, she still couldn't lift the bike back up.
Thanks to a friendly Harley rider, she was on her way, but it's still something ill be going over with her again come spring.

Sent from my iPhone;)

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Ignore Victor Meldrew, all he ever does is put stuff down and has zero creative input. He`d argue with a signpost.
only if it was wrong.

H

·
0 Posts
Last year, after washing the ST I put it on the center stand, in the garage. Cleaned the chain, changed the oil, cleaned the brakes. Pushed the thing off the stand and it started sliding out away from down the side of the wall were the bicycles are hung.

I did everything you are ever taught about lifting a bike off the floor. Except, cleaning the snot film left over on the floor from all that cleaning. Bend down and try to lift just slides the bike along the for on the frame sliders.

I had to ask the lady of the house to come and help me pick my own bike up after scrubbing the floor first. Dumb.:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
The last time I dropped my bike I was in the middle of the highway. Although I practiced the lift at a MC show last year, when it came to actually using the technique I wrenched it up with my arms back and arms - I had so much adrenaline going I could have picked it up and thrown it over my head.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I remember my folks going for a weekend ride way back when on the 57 Dresser we had.
us kids weren't with them and Dad dropped the bike on a riverside pullout. Had to wait for another guy to come along and get the thing back up. He also dropped the bike on the way back too with the same situation.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
I could have used that gal's help getting the Silver Bullet out of the pumice dust in New Mexico. Full tank of gas and the seat side was laying down hill. As it was, a 40 minute wait brought me a boon docking tourist rancher from Oklahoma who's gentle pull on the handle bar was all that was needed to get the lift going and he kept it from falling on the other side.:D

Before the fall

Ready to lift

You don't build memories and it's not and adventure if some sh-t doesn't happen;)

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Stand side down that one, you'd probably have needed the tourist anyway.

Every drop I've ever had was stand side down too, possibly because I naturally rock the bike to that side to put my foot down out of preference.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Do you think they're going to discount the bike they use for that demo or try to sell it later at full MSRP?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts