Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a few bikes, and it seems that many people don't like the stock seat on ANY bike. The prices for aftermarket seats are pretty expensive, so I've always made do with what comes stock.

I started out riding MX bikes, where no seat is considered "plush". The answer for offroad riders has always been this:

Laugh if you want, but padded shorts cost only $20-30, give you extra cushion, provide an extra layer between your cheeks and the street, and help keep the twins warm too.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I use a sheepskin cover that makes the stock seat more bearable. I'm still thinking of upgrading to the gel seat.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I've owned a few bikes, and it seems that many people don't like the stock seat on ANY bike. The prices for aftermarket seats are pretty expensive, so I've always made do with what comes stock.

I started out riding MX bikes, where no seat is considered "plush". The answer for offroad riders has always been this:

Laugh if you want, but padded shorts cost only $20-30, give you extra cushion, provide an extra layer between your cheeks and the street, and help keep the twins warm too.
DeputyMac

They look pretty cool shorts - do you know the make?

I am very happy with the gel seat (like you a mountain biker, so the gel seat is positively plush!), however, any additional padding may always be welcome!

Cheers

John

·
Registered
357 Posts
Do you have to wear one of those tight fitting "Tabasco" shirts too and one of those alien-looking funky open air helmets... :^)

Good luck with dat --

Me ... I opted for a Corbin and said to hec with the supposed fixes...

If I sell the bike - I'll make 75% back on the original price anyway - what's not to like.?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Deputy, totally agree. I pair of good cycling shorts with the gel butts and long legs under your riding pants is a super idea. Coming from a Mountain Biking Hartail Background they are so much better then the hard seat on a pole off my Kona.

·
Registered
322 Posts
DeputyMac...
I dont know what year your bike is, but my 2002ST-seat is The most comfortable (stock) seat of ANY of the bikes Ive ever owned(well...for me anyway). And Im talking Ive owned a couple full-dress Harleys as well as other brands. Ive generaly kept the stock seats on every bike Ive owned, and I can log more miles on my ST without butt-pain than any of my previous bikes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ha! I have a pair of EVS shorts too...

Works great for longer trips! I have the mesh ones for summertime. Sometimes though I'll even wear my mountain bike shorts with the hip pads.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Some great suggestions there folks.

I recently did the 1.5 hour trip to the GP at Phillip Island and got off suffering a case of numb bumitis caused by lack of cushioning between my butt cheeks and seat base.

Knowing I had 1600km trip coming up over 3 days I had to address this problem. My solution was to fit a sheepskin with a 12mm layer of EVA foam under it. This worked a treat, I didn't suffer numb bumitis at all on this trip.:D

I think a more permanent solution would be to fit up one of those DIY gel seat conversion kits that KnoPlace sell on Ebay. These can be retrofitted for under $100. Anyone had a go at fitting up one of these?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm surprised people have problems with the stock seat. I can ride for 8 hours and not have butt pain. My lower back will get a little sore but that's not the seat fault.

Maybe it's "geometry"? I'm only 5'9"ish and about 145 lbs. So I suppose my butt isn't doing overtime to support me. I seem to have been blessed with a "ghetto booty" (can dudes call it that?) so I probably have a higher padding/weight ratio, so maybe that's in my favor, too.

Joe

·
Registered
518 Posts
I live with mine in the garage with the rest of the motorcycle parts I've collected over the years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm surprised people have problems with the stock seat. I can ride for 8 hours and not have butt pain. My lower back will get a little sore but that's not the seat fault.

Maybe it's "geometry"? I'm only 5'9"ish and about 145 lbs. So I suppose my butt isn't doing overtime to support me. I seem to have been blessed with a "ghetto booty" (can dudes call it that?) so I probably have a higher padding/weight ratio, so maybe that's in my favor, too.

Joe

It's not really a "problem". I just offered my solution as a cheap option to an expensive aftermarket seat. If I'm doing a 500 mile ride, I wear the padded shorts and feel more comfy and secure in them.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
It was a problem for me but only when I went long distance. It would pinch my inner thighs and my butt would get super numb to the point of painfull. I am 6'4" 200lbs.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm only 5'9"ish and about 145 lbs. So I suppose my butt isn't doing overtime to support me. I seem to have been blessed with a "ghetto booty" (can dudes call it that?) so I probably have a higher padding/weight ratio, so maybe that's in my favor, too.
I think your weight has a lot to do with it. My friends who have a similar frame to yourself find the seat OK. I am more similar to Calliway in build and experience the same issues.

The seat was modified on the 07 by Triumph, not sure what they did. I'll have to try out my friends bike to see how it feels comparatively.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I love my stock seat. I ride road bicycles (fat guy in spandex) so my bum is quite suited to many hours of rock hard seats. I actually prefer the harder seats.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
How to live with a stock seat? Stand on the pegs and ride it like a horse! Just kidding. I'm 175 pounds and the gel seat at least doubled longevity in the saddle. My Cannondale shorts are too tight, I'm going to look around for a pair of those slick EVS in mesh/ventilated. Anybody have a linky to a good retailer?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I modified my stock '01 seat. I shaved the back or "rear" of the pilot's section of the seat with 60 grit sandpaper, dishing it out to level the seat. I didn't want to lower my riding position, so I looked for some padding to bring the seat back to it's origional height. Having a hard time coming up with a solution, I remembered the unused back protector from my Triumph mesh jacket. The shape was almost a perfect fit. The back pad is about 3/4" thick and pretty dense. I beveled the edges of the pad to blend into the seat and recovered it.........the mod made a nice difference in the comfort and riding position.
Mike O'Keefe

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Elevens,
Buy a pair of pearl izumi shorts a size to big and don't wear undies. They should be loose enough to allow a confortable ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts