Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I am wondering about improving the front brake performance. Wondering about feeting a floating disk 320mm ( from yamaha or other bikes that fit the same...) or brake pads... All advises are welcome.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
EBC now state that their MD629LS 320mm floating disc fits classic triples. Some have used a Harrison or Pretech 6 pot with a stock disc. If I had the cash I'd probably go for the EBC disc & a Pretech caliper, but EBC HH pads in a stock set up is an improvement alright. I believe the stock brake lines are also braided, just covered in black plastic?

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
I believe that the early brake lines were just rubber and the later ones were plastic covered braided lines.

Fitting of braided lines will make a big difference to an older bike.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Front caliper

I've got a Berringer front caliper on a Thunderbird and find it just as good as the twin disk set up on my sport.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My 95 Tbird has a braided hose as standard. I use the standard disc with Harrison 6 pot caliper and a larger front mastercylinder (you can source a 2nd hand Kawasaki and swap the cover plate over. This gives a massive improvement over te standard setup and is worthwhile if you're keeping the bike. Also try Hagon rear suspension unit and fork springs which will transform your handling.

·
Registered
721 Posts
It really depends how much you wish to spend.

Personally I prefer to double up on discs.

A jap front end may be an option, I suppose.

I used a TBS front end & upgraded the master cylinder & calipers too.
I currently have a pair of 1980's P8 Brembos with stainless pistons.

They seem to be working well, but are not a straight bolt on mod.

Nige. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
The HH pads will wear out your stock disc in a hurry. I don't think a floating caliper is going to help that much on a stock system, though it will be better with the HH pads! '95-'97 T-Birds came with a rubber hose line standard, and most people changed that out right away...

If money is no object, the simplest thing to do is the 6 pot conversion. You will then want move on to the front suspension, due to fork dive... :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts