Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Haynes recommends greasing the suspension as regular maintenance, but does not give details.

I cleaned each grease nipple and attached the grease gun. Then pumped in the grease until I saw some old grease oozing out of the seems.

How much grease do I push in? Should I be pushing out ALL of the old grease?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would purge all the old grease out, that is what we do on helicopter bearings. Then clean it up the area as best as you can.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you add grease regularly, like once a year, just until a little oozes out is fine. There is no reason that the grease should break down in these low heat areas.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Make sure it comes out of both sides. I took mine off a few years ago and found that they were not well greased and even had some rust on them -- and that was following that rule.

·
Registered
900 Posts
automotive grease really isn't that expensive but your bike is. grease it till the whole area is ozzing out so you know it's been well coated. being stingy with your supplies will only cause more headaches down the road

·
Registered
605 Posts
automotive grease really isn't that expensive but your bike is. grease it till the whole area is ozzing out so you know it's been well coated. being stingy with your supplies will only cause more headaches down the road
Totally agree with this - overfilling at the grease nipple forces out the grungy, particle-laden old stuff and replaces it with new. A whole can of grease costs only a few bucks so squirt away and wipe off the dirty excess (oooh... that sounds dirty, but it's not). :D Repeat as neessary - I usually use the grease gun twice as often as it says - that way, you're pretty much guaranteed the grease point won't get dry and difficult to re-fill. Or worse, that parts will begin to rub/wear.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
yep never had a prob i usually regrease every winter steering ,suspension , and every 2nd year replace the sealed wheel bearings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts