Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having a hard time fitting new rubber footrests on my main and pillion foot pegs. I wound up hammering one on with a rubber mallet but it was not pretty.
Was thinking of using some grease but then thought that was a bad idea.
Is there a trick to this?
(did a search here but found nothing.)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
They don't go easily if the peg can flex. You can clamp the peg in a vise if you want to remove the pegs or brace the rubber against the floor and drive the metal part down into it or (I'll probably get shelled for this) if you dont want to remove the peg, brace it against the case with some soft wood like pine or hard rubber. Just don't crack the case hammering on it. You can use dish soap for a lubricant.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've been known to put some 3M weatherstrip adhesive in there to hold them, but replacements are so badly made it's not worth it. I've seen 50 year old originals that still look great ... the new ones need replacement (at least) every season ...

·
Registered
348 Posts
hair spray!!

yes hair spray it lubes rubber to side on very easy and in about a min it makes rubber stick in place. job well done every time

also use for hand grips etc

·
Registered
138 Posts
WD40 works well. Once it dries it acts like glue. I've used it to change tires for years.

Electrical contact cleaner is good too and great for installing grips. Be sure to test as some brands are not friendly on rubber.

·
Registered
162 Posts
!

throw em in boiling water till their 'Al Dente'

hot enough to need a hot pad to get em to the garage.

eezy beezee slip on, nice shrink fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts