Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help an idiot, I need to fit a centre stand spring; brute strength and ignorance has not worked. Does anyone know if some kind of spring extender gizmo exists? Thanks in anticipation. colin :???:

·
Registered
679 Posts
hook a loop of strong string to it and pull. don't get your hands in the way.
darcy

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I used a nail/tack puller - the kind that looks like a screwdriver, but with a 'V' shaped tip. With the stand in the raised position, spring attached, I used it to push each strand of the hook at the other end of the spring over the retainer on the bracket. For extra pressure, I extended the length of the tool handle with a piece of old aluminium tubing I found.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Hold one end of the spring in a vice. Bend the spring and insert suitable sized washers where there is a gap between coils, bend the spring in the opposite direction and insert more washers in the gaps. Install the spring on the bike, pull the washers out.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very many thanks all. Looped a strong cable tie on one end and inserted a long handle in loop as a lever-result.

colin :cool:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Motion pro makes a nifty t-handled device for fitting springs on exhaust pipes. Sort of a mini meat hook.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts