Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '69 bonneville engine. I read that the main engine oil is located beneath the seat and that there should be a way to measure how full it should be. There is oil in it, I can see, however, I can see no marks or dipstick or lines or anything that would say I'm low. On a side note, does this engine share with the primary oil? I read that somewhere but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Hi, Doddsy...
As far as the oil "sharing" issue goes, if yours has the engine breather tube coming off of the top inside of the primary case so that the hose is routed along the rear fender, then there are 3 holes between the crankcase and the primary case. This allows the engine to "breath" through the primary drive area. The old owner's manual says that this setup also "helps" maintain the primary oil level, but I think that's "iffy" at best. About the only thing it'll do is allow any excess oil you put in the primary to seep back into the sump and be pumped into the system. It does provide a bit of "mist" lubrication, I'm pretty sure. I know my '70 has this setup and I believe the '69's did as well.

From the fast fading memory of the "village idiot": Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts