Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HI
Is there any fast way to bleed the brake system on scrambler?
I have replace the rear control by Norman Hyde product, during instalation i needed to remove fluid hose, and master cylinder was detached from the system.
Now i have flat pedal, how to bleed it fast?
I try to do it for 30 min, no improvment.

Schould i do it in the banjo bold from master cylinder side only or in the cliper or in both?

Please help
Best regards
MARTIN

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
IMO, the best way to bleed is buy Speed Bleeders. Works like a check valve - just keep pumping the brakes while topping up the reservoir.

Cheap and easy :)

Don't disconnect the banjo bolt, bled it from the bleeder nozzle on the calliper.

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
Use a Mity-Vac vacuum pump on the lower (caliper) end while a helper pours fluid into the reservoir as needed. Make sure that the tubing fitting to the bleeder is tight. It works for me.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Syringe

Hmm yes these brakes can be a real pain to bleed, I ended up getting a 25mm syringe from the chemist about $2 and force fed the calipers to fill them up from the bleeder nipple then bled as usual after a full caliper rebuild, can be messy but it works, Im gonna get some speed bleeders and try that next time...T50

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Plus 1 on the mighty vac. I have used this to bleed brakes on everything with hydraulics. Perfect everytime..first time, even on 6 piston Wilwoods.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just have rdered special tool, we will see ho wit works.
Nothing from homemade tricks works unfrtunatlly,
Now i have even th eproblem o pump any liqid to the cliper, just an air...
I do not know if anything is wrong or i do wrong something but i will check with proper tool after toomorrow.
I did not realize it is such a pain in this bike, on my bmw the master cylinder is so strong that few times is anough to push the air out of the hose.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
bled it from the bleeder nozzle on the calliper

Please tell me where it is? It is my english limitation:)
Here is the nozzle on the front and the back. Just remove the rubber boot on it and give it a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to open it up.

If you buy Speed Bleeders, remove the nozzle and replace it with the Speed Bleeder and leave it in there permanently.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Front:

Rear:

It is useful to get some nylon hose and put it on the bleeder to drain into a jar or bottle. Then just pump the brakes while you continually top up the reservoir. When done, tighten the Speed Bleeder.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for help.
If i pump the brake pedal and the bleeding nozzle is open do i suck the air to the sustem?
I think i should pump the pedal, open the nozzle, close the nozzle, pump the pedal , open the nozlle, yes?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Here's what I do, and it seems to work:
  • Fill master cylinder
  • Fit ring spanner to bleed nipple and plastic hose from bleed nipple to jar with enough fluid in to cover the end of the hose - hose must be a close fit on the bleed nipple
  • Apply pressure to lever/pedal
  • Open bleed nipple 1/4 turn, enough to allow air/fluid out
  • Close bleed nipple
  • Release pressure on lever/pedal
  • Repeat until fluid comes out of nipple with no bubbles. It can take a while, perhaps 10-20 cycles or sometimes more, but it will bleed the system eventually.
Keep checking and refilling m/c as necessary. It's easier with an assistant to work the lever/pedal and watch the fluid level, but it can be done on your own with a bit of flexibility.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Thanks a lot for help.
If i pump the brake pedal and the bleeding nozzle is open do i suck the air to the sustem?
I think i should pump the pedal, open the nozzle, close the nozzle, pump the pedal , open the nozlle, yes?
With a regular bleeder, yes you will suck in air. You need to loosen then squeeze the brake and tighten the bleeder before releasing the brake. But with the Speed Bleeder, air won't suck in, so you just loosen and keep pumping the brake.

·
Registered
385 Posts
to bleed you open nipple and pump lever/pedall keeping lever/pedal down you then close nipple, with nipple closed now pump for a bit this gets air etc to bottom then repeat above.

b4 starting to get fluid through the system put a tube on the bleed nipple open it and suck the fluid through, yes i have done this literally cover tube with tongue cos fluid tastes orrible, lol

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Thanks a lot for help.
Yes you are correct.

Usually this takes 2 people. That is why many purchase the speed bleeders. But if you have a child (or wife, if you like) that appreciates a warm bed at night or the paycheck you bring home each week, you have your own "speed bleeder" and need not spend any additional money... or else!! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts