Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question but here it goes. I also dont have a owners manual and Im sure it tells in there.

My chain is a bit loose, how do i take the slack out and how tight should it be? The bike is a 01 Daytona 955i.

Thanks

[ This message was edited by: Flat6 on 2007-06-13 16:02 ]

·
Registered
158 Posts
With the single sided swingarm, the back axle is a cam. There is a pinch bolt holding everything tight on the back of the swingarm. Get the back wheel off the ground with a stand and open the pinch bolt. There is a sickle shaped tool in the Triumph toolkit that can tighten and relax the chain position. It connects to a notched area of the hub between the sprocket and the swingarm body.

I know that is a little cryptic, but look at it and it will make sense.

Good luck.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Loosen the pinch bolt on the swing arm (17mm). The use the C- shaped spanner in the tool kit (if you got one) on the eccentric adjuster on the hub. Anti-clockwise tightens it I think. Should be 35-40mm free play at mid chain. Then tighten the pinch bolt to 55 Nm's.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
220 Posts
No need to raise the tire off the ground, really. it's a SSSA, so you can adjust it on the ground. BTW, SSSA chains have WAYYY more slack than a DSSA chain. You have to remember that when you overtighten a SSSA chain, you are actually affecting the entire rear suspension.......

35MM is perfecto!

HTH,
Ski

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
For the record, if you don't have that special tool from triumph, a few other items will work, in a pinch...

Now, these are certainly not "dealer recommended" procedures, so: "Perform at your own risk!!!"

You can use a center punch and a hammer to tighten it up a little, if you cannot get the wrench in time. Just make sure it is placed evenly and square on the tooth...

...and tap lightly. It doesn't take a lot of force...

I only tell you this because a properly maintained chain is safer then riding with a loose chain because the tool didn't arrive in time. Like any job, it should be performed with the proper tools but if you don't have them, it's okay to "improvise" a little...

·
Registered
35 Posts
my goodness!!!!,....that was so simple it hurts!!!! 1 17mm socket, a torque wrench,the tool,......under 5min!! may all maintenance issues be this easy....haha!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts