Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, fellas:

I've searched the archives and can't find an answer on this...

My Daytona's chain guard (with the rear brake switch) is off, so the only way I have to activate my brake light is by pulling the front brake lever. But the switch is out of adjustment and doesn't turn on the light until I've pulled the brake a long way -- it doesn't come on until I'm all the way stopped, by which time the brake light as a warning to other drivers is useless.

How can I adjust the switch? I assume it's the little doodad on the cable near the brake lever with two wires running out of it.

Thanks!
Aircap

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
When you adjust your front TLS brake correctly you can lock the thing up pretty easily. My front brake switch does the same as yours. The light comes on when I really pull the lever all the way. Problem is by that time, I would be flung over the handlebars and bouncing on my head down the street.

So I do what I'm supposed to do anyway, apply front and rear brake at the same time.

Looks like you'll need to put the rear brake light switch back on.

I do recall taking an old one apart and I think there is a round piece of "plastic" in there that keeps the contacts apart until the tension brings them together. That piece could be slimmed down to make it more sensitive. I'm just not sure I could put it back together, though

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have been seeking the same holy grail. Finally took the switch apart to see if there is anything that could be done. Basically the switch is a pair of contacts separated by a rubber washer. As you squeeze the brake the rubber compresses and allows the contact to touch. Trouble is it is not a regular flat washer but an odd cutaway kind of washer, so changing washers is an unlikely remedy.

The other option, that I have not yet tried, would be to solder on some little dots of solder onto the contacts on one side, so that they don't have to compress the rubber nearly as far. I can't see why this wouldn't work, but you do have to take the switch apart to attempt it. It's not hard to get apart fortunately.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Just for the record, the old owner's manual (or some other repair one) states that the front brake switch is "non-adjustable". Now, if you set the cable slack so that the brake lever will just touch the hand grip without locking the front tire, the light should work. That front brake is quite powerful, one of the best drum setups ever fitted to a production bike, and will lock that tire quite easily, so experiment with it carefully until you get it set right.

...brings back memories of my '72 Daytona: Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts