Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted my first post over on the st forum regarding upright position on bike and a subscriber over there suggested lookin at the tigers as well.
I am 5'8" and have sat on the 07 model and reached the floor with the balls of my feet vs flat footed. Can this be an issue, or is it a shortcoming for my height (no pun intended)? I really like the bike as an all around and could possibly adapt.
Are their many owners my height or even shorter who overcame this?

Thanx in advance

db

·
Registered
361 Posts
Inseam is more of an issue than height.

Although I am 5'10" My inseam is roughly 30 inches and I also reach the ground with the balls of my feet.

Available lowering

Triumph lower seat - amount lowered unknown - cost $189

Hagon seat lowering shock from Dave Quinn - up to 50 mm - cost ~$585 w/remote preload adjustment - web site -

Dave Quinn

Suspension lowering links - about 30 mm ~$190 from Germany - see this thread on Tiger 1050 -

Lowering the Tiger

-

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am 5' 7" I don't have a problem riding the bike it is a little awkward when I try to turn the bike around when I am not moving and you have to start to move just like you were a little kid again riding the bicycle that was to big for you but once you get going its great. I intend to get the lower seat and my dealer ship in pa is working on lowering the bike an inch this should really help. Even so I love the bike tman :cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
6' 4" and can flat foot anything. My '99 Tiger felt pretty good for about 500 miles.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Ever ride a dirtbike??? When you stop, keep the right foot on the brake and scooch!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
On 2007-03-07 19:08, Punkinwing wrote:
Ever ride a dirtbike??? When you stop, keep the right foot on the brake and scooch!!
Never rode a dirt bike but have seen many a picture of that and that's what I do with mine. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam, can't flat foot my '05, but I've gotten really good with only using my left leg. Can be fun when you're at a stop light and got a crosswind from your right :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm probably going to buy a Tiger and just had a chance to sit on one at the dealer. I am 5 feet, 10 inches tall and have a 32 inch inseam (actually about 31.5) and the bike fits me fine. I can't get flat footed but I feel pretty stable. Reminds me of my dirt bike days... I love the look and feel of this bike. Feels much lighter and easier to move around than my Sprint.

Side Note: I second the "put your foot on the brake and scooch" method. Slide your butt off the seat to one side and leave the hamstring and other butt cheek straddled kinda sideways across the saddle. This will get you flat footed on one foot and the other foot just stays on the foot brake. It sounds weird but it works. I did this for years on dirt bikes when I was In junior high. The seats were 33 inches off the ground and at the time I only had a 29 inch inseam. Never dropped the bike once (from the seat being too tall). Once you get the hang of it, it's easy.

[ This message was edited by: bareyb on 2007-03-13 15:59 ]

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think folks should be a bit careful about advising somebody to go ahead and get a bike that's too tall for them. Lots of experienced riders have no problems, atall... And some won't try it. Some feller asking if a tall seat is an issue, is likely to find that it is. Dropping the thing and smashing it up, can be expensive. Lowering the bike may be his best option, if he can afford it. Otherwise, a shorter bike is probably a better idea.

Sure, maybe you can do it, anyway. A lot of people do. I was like that... I was also a lot younger, once, and there weren't any bikes for kids around our place. For a few years, it was ride big ones, or not ride. So, if you can ride a 500lb-or-so bike that requires tippy-toes or one foot at stoplights, that's your buisness. More power to you. My mechanic is maybe 5'6", and he can handle it. But the average person doesn't do as well.

Tigers are also top-heavy, (not too sure how the '07 is). Numerous threads about dropping them, are all over this forum. An interested party, unsure about the seating after trying one, might do better, elsewhere.

My advice is this:
If it don't fit, and you aren't confident about it, don't ride it.

If you buy it anyway, best of luck. Only you can make that decision.

·
Registered
530 Posts
6' with 36" inseam. I know: orangutan. Can flat foot a KTM Adveturer (the old really tall one). I raised my Tiger with an adjustable shock and stiffer fork springs. At least you can buy pants that fit.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
I'm 6' and can nicely flatfoot the 06. It's just comfortable for me.

Welshrob, another forum member, who used to be an upstandingly civil Tiger rider, then a Sprint rider has just gone feral and bought a Speed Triple. :-D He is just 5' 6" a real short a$$. He loved his 03 Tiger, but couldn't carry a pillion because he couldn't physically hold the bike up while she mounted (so to speak). So then he went to a Sprint, and finally a Speed Triple (the latter because his wife now rides her own and there is no need for two up)

So, if you're feeling OK with the height for yourself, but you want to carry a pillion often, then consider the above. It may force a change of plan.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
704 Posts
I am 6'1" and can flat foot my '06 with boots on. The
suspension seems to have softened up a little now that I've
gotten around 4k miles on her. Or I've gained a few pounds!

:razz:

Block

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Bushwhacker and JRO make very good points.

It really is about your inseam, not overall height. I'm 6'2" and yet only 30" leg. The height of the pre-2007 Tiger was therefore a major concern for me, because I know the risks associated with a too-tall bike.

Other people's opinions on the subject were not all that helpful to me, because when it comes to something like how a bike fits you, if somebody hasn't been in that same situation themselves, then--and I say this with all due respect--they really don't know what they're talking about. It's your life on the line, not theirs.

A test ride in a familiar and reasonably safe environment was what it took to convince me that I could control the beast adequately at stop signs, in a variety of parking spaces, etc. As Steven (pineygroveshop) says, it was a question of learning to anticipate where I would need to stop to have adequate footing under me.

I determined that I could do it safely, but it will be best if you can find a dealer with a demo to ride, to make sure the Tiger is really a good fit for you, too.

(FWIW, I'm in a similar situation again as I consider a 2007 Tiger to keep my 2001 company. Even with the higher tail section, I can mount the new one OK if it's not fitted with luggage, and the seat height is indistinguishable from my old one. But I'm not sure how you're supposed to swing a leg over <u>with</u> the hard luggage in place. But that's for another post.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts