Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am 5'9 with a 30 inseam and I can not flat foot, but still have one :). I have heard people say you just have to plant the front of your foot down easier said then done, other option is to have it lowered but not sure why someone would want to lower a bike.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
5'8" with a 29" inseam. I have my '08 1050 lowered about 1.5 inches. I can get the balls of my feet on the ground. I have never ridden a bike that I "flat-footed".:)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
5'8" with a 29" inseam. I have my '08 1050 lowered about 1.5 inches. I can get the balls of my feet on the ground. I have never ridden a bike that I "flat-footed".:)
How did you lower it?

Did you have an earlier Tiger or is this the first?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Hi Beemie,

The main way for short arses to ride the Tiger is to try and stop in the "safety position". Left foot down, right foot on the rear brake showing a brake light for those behind who are potentially going to drive into the back of you.

That means you can shuffle your arse over to the left of the seat and reach down with your little legs and attached left foot. If you are trying to stop with both feet down then you would be on "tippy toes".

Once on the move, it doesn't matter how tall you are, it's just the stopping and putting your foot down that's the problem.

On a personal note, Tiger's are made for a big man, a man's man. It's a phallic thing. They're not made for "shorties" ;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Beemie,
On a personal note, Tiger's are made for a big man, a man's man. It's a phallic thing. They're not made for "shorties" ;):rolleyes:
That's serious shortsightedness on Triumph's part because there seems to be a strong following for the former Thunderbird model style and they have nothing to fit as a similar replacement.

·
Registered
88 Posts
2001 Tiger and I've a 29 inside leg. Onl problem I had initially was the sidestand but found you dont have to push it back, just in, and it'll do the rest itself.

Too many of my friends are obsessed about getting both feet on the ground, CBR, R6, SV650 - "I wish I could ride a big trailie".

I'm only frikin 5'9", one of them is 6 foot and folds himself onto an SV650. He looks like a gorilla shaggin a roller skate:D

·
Registered
724 Posts
6`1" ish with 33" inside leg(inseam) seat set to max, excentrics on the high side and pre load set quite high. Can still get both feet flat and still have knees bent slightly.
The only downside is that I get a bit cramped and need to stretch out a bit.

As for the tricks for shorter riders - I believe woodsmiths had his seat lowered by a couple of inches, beats wearing platform shoes;):D

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Beemie,

There are lowering plates available for the rear, and the front forks can be raised about 10 mm in the triple clamps to get the geometry close to stock. I never rode the older model Tigers.

·
Registered
616 Posts
31" inseam. I have a Corbin seat that I had made 1" shorter than their standard and narrower than normal as well. Not quite flat-footed but am comfortable with it. Like many, I fell over at a dead stop when I wasn't watching the terrain, so I pay a little closer attention these days.

·
Registered
170 Posts
:) 5'10" 30" inseam...I walked by my actual Tiger at the dealer's for a full season wishing I was tall enough to own it...Then I got brave and bought a KLR which is even taller.. I found I could manage with a slight lean and plant the left foot...If I could do that with a KLR why not a Tiger? So I went and bought it and have had a great time ever since...I don't need both feet flat to enjoy a bike...I think most bikes are made for 30" inseams so you don't have to fold your legs up into knots and feel uncomfortable riding long distances.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:) 5'10" 30" inseam....I think most bikes are made for 30" inseams so you don't have to fold your legs up into knots and feel uncomfortable riding long distances.
The troubling issue is riding with a passenger, and my wife and mother love to ride. I can't see one footing it with all the weight, especially with a sensitive back.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The troubling issue is riding with a passenger, and my wife and mother love to ride. I can't see one footing it with all the weight, especially with a sensitive back.
:) Probably why I told Mrs. Lucky that the Tiger is a one person machine only...I let her ride pillion on the Rocket...I have to agree that I don't like the idea of balancing weight that high up on a Tiger balancing on one foot...I also wouldn't carry a passenger on my KLR either....;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
5'5" 31" inseam.

At a standstill I either tip toe if the surface is flat and dry or right foot on brake and left flush if surface is questionable.

I am far more conscientious with this bike when coming to a stop and hold it in first so I am not messing around with my feet to shift.

Love the bike! Makes me wish I were taller though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
6'4" with a 34" inseam. I have a Corbin seat on my 2002 which forces the legs more lateral. I can't get both feet flat, but it's close. I usually place my right foot flat and keep the left on the shifter - quick takeoffs that way. The Tiger is a tough bike for those who are "vertically challenged".

Just the nature of the beast.

Of course, you COULD just perfect the art of balancing the bike at a standstill!!

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So basically I have to shoehorn a tiger drivetrain into a Thunderbird frame?
I wish Triumph would catch on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm 6'4" with a 37" inseam. I love the 1050 with the factory tall seat. I can ride all day on that seat and not think twice about comfort. Good news: I've never seen a bike I couldn't flatfoot. Bad news: try finding pants that are 34x37.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Looks like we have two welcomes that were missed

Welcome Lizzi - you may break the record for the shortest Tiger Rider.

Welcome RichardU, not sure if you break the record for the tallest, but if you need long legged pants, Cavenders in Texas have up to 36" inseam jeans.

DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliation with them, just made a purchase there when in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with their range of odd sized pants and jeans.

Mick

1 - 20 of 39 Posts