Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How satisfied are you with the Striple?

7K views 42 replies 26 participants last post by  Diego 
#1 ·
I'm on the borderline of odering a standard Striple. I currently have a 1050 Sprint ST that is just too heavy for my daily commute.

I would like to know how happy forum members are who have made the "leap" and bought a Striple?

Anyone out there unhappy?

Cheers,

Dokotela

#2 ·
The Street is my first Triumph so I can't provide any feedback on switching from one to the other. The Striple is my 8th motorcycle over the 15 years I've been riding. This bike is amazing in every aspect, after almost a year I still come home with a grin on my face. Buy it, embrace it, and enjoy it.

#4 ·
For what you are looking for the street will be a godsend. I tried the 08 sprint and while it was cool it felt underpowered for the weight and was not geared correct for urban riding. The street is so light and nimble and the motor is a true gem. Torque everywhere. You will really love the riding position too coming off the sprint. The sprint is sort of like a sportbike with bags to me, you will be less leaned over on the street.
I have only had my R for a week, but so far I have noticed very few areas they could improve. I would like a fuel gauge, helmet lock and a nub on the kick stand to grab with my boot like my Japanese bikes had. We will see how much heat the exhaust throws at my backside during the summer. These wish list items are just that, wishes. The bike overall is outstanding so far, and I would not trade any of my wishes if it meant something that the bike has already had to go. I say to go and test ride one. If that motor and riding position doesn't put a smile on your face check into the local funeral parlor. Fyi, on a naked bike you feel like you are speeding all the time:D

Under200

#5 · (Edited)
I have had my Striple ''R" for about 2 months and it is in deed a very nimble and superb handling bike. I replaced my supermoto with the striple and was afraid I would miss the flick-a- bility and agility of the supermoto ,but I was truely mistaken. And the motor, what a great power plant. If you decide to buy you will be impressed without question.

#6 ·
Hey Dokatela,

Strange you mention this change as I am doing exactly what you are thinking of. I currently have a 1050 Sprint ST and I am picking up an 08 Striple in 2 days time. I also found my ST to be a lovely bike but a bit heavy to throw around the back roads.

I'll post up my feedback on the differences once I've picked it up and had a chance to ride it for a little while.

Cheers

#7 · (Edited)
I would agree with a previous post. Fuel gauge would be nice, the kickstand is awkward to deploy waiting to see if the computer will learn to work with me, has a hiccup every now and then...but I will say this bike is wicked and the best bang for the buck out there. The bars, the weight, its physical size will you have you thinking you're Rossi in no time!
Also
The dealer answered premium when I asked for a fuel recommendation but the manual says 91 RON minimum which is 87 in Can and the US. Don't want to turn this into a stupid octane thread though as that's generally a total waste of time.:rolleyes: I plan to switch at the next fill to a lower octane.

#10 ·
Also
The dealer answered premium when I asked for a fuel recommendation but the manual says 91 RON minimum which is 87 in Can and the US. Don't want to turn this into a stupid octane thread though as that's generally a total waste of time.:rolleyes: I plan to switch at the next fill to a lower octane.

Yes...the octane thread has been done. Any "gear head" would tell you (as they already know), that when it comes to octane..."more does NOT equal better". You can measure your octane needs into TWO catagories. 1) Enough, and 2) Not enough. Simple as that. 87 (US) octane is ENOUGH for a stock Street. Any more and you're throwing your money away.

#8 ·
I went from a Sprint which was just too top heavy (actualy lighter than a mates ZRX1200R but feels heavier ) to a souped up Bonnie, which was a great commuter bike. The Bonnie was just lacking a bit of omph though, and the suspension and brakes are very mediocre. The Striple does evrything better than the other two, but tends to be a bit highly strung for freeway droning. Oh, and that sidestand is a shocker!!!
;)

#9 ·
Hey Copton,

I'd be really interested in hearing your view on the move from Sprint ST to Street Triple.
I love the Sprint for sports touring, but to be honest, it just isn't built for town work and filtering, which is a lot of what I do.

I have test ridden the little Street, and got off after an hour with a huge grin, and the message stamped all over my brain "I've GOT to have one of these".

Look forward to your reply Copton.

Cheers,

Dokotela

#12 ·
I own a 955 Sprint and the little Striple. I also have spent a fair bit of time on a 1050 Sprint as my brother owns one.

I believe the 1050 Sprint is the best "real world" motorcycle you can get your hands on and if you go to tour you'll probably miss it. I don't think the weight of the Sprints is a problem either but I'm still sub 30 and a tradesman which may help.
If you are looking to commute and do shorter blasts the Striple will more than satisfy, but I can't help but think you may regret it down the track. (Oh well, you can always get another Sprint)

Don't let me scare you off though. Go get one and become a hooligan like the rest of us:)

#13 ·
Hi guys,

Sorry I've not posted a reply sooner, but I've been... well... riding.

So, fairly recently I picked up a used 2008 striple and I just wanted to post a few comments on my experience.

First time I got on the striple I thought, "man, this is a small bike, I wonder if it is any fun?". Let me tell you, my question was answered pretty quickly. This bike is a blast. It is so small and light, the 675 engine is plenty to get it going. The engine is also powerful enough to power the front wheel up :D It's also really comfortable with a very natural riding position.

I've found that I am much more exposed on the striple compared to the sprint, but I'm not planning on riding at a million miles per hour, so that's no big deal. In fact, I'm finding that as a bonus. The wind noise and feel helps me keep my speed down.

So far, so good. My bike is the green one and came with the extra plastics and the high mount Arrow exhausts, and they sound amazing. They are much louder than I expected. I heard from other people that the low Arrow exhaust is fairly quiet, not so for the high mounts (in my view anyway). The only downside is I'm only getting about 150km or so before the reserve light comes on :(

If you are thinking about switching to this bike, do it, and do it now before everyone else finds out how much fun this bike is :)

Here are a couple of pictures of my new and old ride:

#14 ·
Digging my Street Triple R

I am new to street bikes and first got interested in the STR because it's styling absolutely rocks. Further online research yielded great reviews all around, and recommendations that it would be a fine choice for a new street rider, with plenty of room for growing into.

I have been riding my STR for about 3 weeks and I am amazed how quickly I have been climbing the learning curve.

The other day I was doing some parking lot practice and was following a weave pattern recommended by ride like a pro website. The diagram they provided was not completely clear, and I ended up placing some of the cones at 12 foot offsets, when they should have been 30 feet apart! Needless to say, it was not an easy course, but I was able to manage it with only a few misses. That's not to say I am a prodigy rider by any means, but says this is one easy to maneuver machine.

I have been taking it easy until I have more experience and confidence, needless to say, but I have had a few brief breathtaking tastes of what this beast can do and look forward to experiencing the total package as my riding skills advance.

#15 ·
Go test drive the bike...including the R. Great city and reasonable distance touring bike...sporty and exhilerating. If you like the ride and like grey or orange, get the R version. For the extra $800, you get the adjustable suspension, improved brakes, handle bars, seat (much more confortable and 2 tone suade look/feel) and adj break lever. And I know milage varies, but I have riden easy and pretty hard, and I get between 40-44 mpg....with a mix of highway and raod. Stop and go trafic only will yeilad more like 35mpg....bit when crusing...approx 200 mls/tank. Have fun!!

#16 ·
Had a few moments of doubt!

I recently sold my Bonneville and had a few anxious moments that I had done the wrong thing to have the Street Triple as my only bike. Around town all winter the ride has been amazing and I love the feel and sound of the bike. As the spring dried and warmed up I started riding more of the 200-250km days and was uncomfortable. Between aches and worries of carrying a week worth of travel needs I had some doubts. On the Bonnie I could do 500kms a day without any issues (king/queen seat, windshield).

After some analysis of the problem I bought the fatbar and risers and instantly relieved the forward-lean shoulder ache issue. I immediately fell in love with my bike all over again:p. I bought a big tank bag, which I thought I wouldn't like, but its awesome! I don't see or feel it while I am riding. I'm contemplating the seat issue...I have the gel seat and at 8500kms I think it is broken in, but we'll see if it gets a bit more comfortable before I spend more money on custom.

I get about 220kms before reserve (sorry Copton, but i'm only just in Victoria so I don't know if Vancouver traffic is your mileage issue) and I bought a helmet lock, it hides almost under the seat (just visible in the attached photo holding my heated vest wires out of the way). I have no problem finding the kickstand, its MUCH easier than the one on my husband's Speed Triple.

I love it. Looking forward to my first trip, 800km ride planned this weekend though the Fraser Canyon in southern BC...hope the weather holds.

Attachments

#17 ·
I'm in love with the Street Triple R.

I've had it since the end of March and it's been semi-cold here in Minnesota (until recently).

I put about 1700 miles on it since I first got it and I must say it's an amazing bike.

It's my first bike and I think Triumph has now convinced me that they are the bikes I'll be buying from now on.

I'm lusting after the 2009 Daytona SE though... that paint job is beautiful... :D

All in all though. The Street Triple R is great. I have the compression and rebound settings set to my liking of stiff and responsive!

The seat can be a pain sometimes, but it's better than the stock seat I believe.

#18 ·
Hey evilmom, the bar and mirrors look great. I might have to do the same one day.

I do tend to enojy the bike possibly a bit too much and rev it pretty hard just to hear the beautiful exhaust note :D Maybe that's why I'm hitting reserve at 150km?

All the mods on my bike were done by the dealer by the previous owner. I'm putting together a list of mods I'd like to do, and I might have to add the bars to this list. So far I've got: rear hugger, frame sliders, mirrors.

Loving the bike. So much fun.

#21 ·
I do tend to enojy the bike possibly a bit too much and rev it pretty hard just to hear the beautiful exhaust note :D Maybe that's why I'm hitting reserve at 150km?
Nah bro - if you're only getting 150km per tank then you've got a real serious problem. I have the dual arrows (plus map) and often give my bike an absolute thrashing.

The difference between behaving and insane misbehaviour would be 10 - 15 km at best.

Like Evilmom, I often don't see my reserve light till 220 km. You should get 200km though.

#19 ·
18 months into owning my '08 and I couldn't be happier. I have a Moto Guzzi Touring bike that sees a lot of highway miles, but nothing is as delightful to ride in town or in the mountains as my Street Triple. I had a young rider approach me just the other day at a gas station who owns a Daytona 675. He really likes the Street Triple and thinks the riding position is ideal. While he enjoys his Daytona he gets tired of riding tucked in and on the tank. A future Street Triple convert in the making. :)

#20 ·
Go for it!

I traded my TL1000S for my Triple. You cannot get much more grunt than from the TL. I do not miss it at all ridding the Triple. I does take a bit of getting used to the high revs when cruising on the highway though!!

#23 ·
Nah, I'm certainly set to kms. I'll see how much I get from my current tankful and report back.

If it is still super low I'll take it in to my dealer so they can take a look at it.

Most of my riding is commuting to work right now, so there is a lot of stop and start riding. Not the best for fuel economy for sure.

Does anyone else get low mileage from commuting? I know it is much, much better on a decent ride.

#24 ·
Well I've owned two Striples over a 14 months period and I've used purely for commuting some weeks and purely for long open road recreational rides for periods of time too. There were slight differences in fuel economy - again 20 km difference per tank max!

Definately take the bike back to your dealer - you sure you dont have a hole in the tank?

#27 ·
I have owned my '08 Sprint for a little over a year. I just purchased a '09 Street Triple R (traded in my '99 TBS). It is an amazing bike, truly one of the most fun bikes I have ever ridden.
With that said however, the Sprint and the Striple are two different bikes. If you are looking for mainly an around town bike I would have to say the Street Triple. However, if you are looking to do some longer rides as well as an around town bike I would have to say the Sprint is the best bike for the job!
Anyways that is my 2 cents.

#28 ·
I'm considering moving from my Daytona 955i to a Street Triple or Daytona 675...

You guys that have gone from Sprints, etc. to the 675, how have you found the smaller capacity engine? Is there noticeably a lot less torque and power?

I've also read that people find leaning the Street Triples a bit arkward because of the more upright riding position, can anyone comment on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.