Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I say, I'm being tempted by one of those 'great price' things. I know I'm probably not being that smart.

I recently sold my Triumph Speedmaster for something that I can ride for a bit longer. I'm looking for a Sprint ST and came across a Craigslist bike.

The bike was bought at an auction by a dealer in Santa Rosa that doesn't inspire confidence in me. No service records - I have no idea if a valve adjustment has ever been done :) It looks like whoever owned the bike before ripped off the rear signal indicators. 43k miles. But only $3,000...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1089737617.html

How silly on the silly scale would this be?

·
Registered
15 Posts
i can't really say if it is a good deal or bad - but i can say that i paid around that price for my '01 st two weeks ago. has papers, runs like a top, and only 15k miles on it. oh, that was at the dealer too...so factor in that (they did a full brake job and new tires before putting it on the floor).

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
Welcome!

Doesn't look like a great buy

Where are you in the Bay Area?
It's always worth checking the Sac Craigs list also - not too far away
Here's a couple that look promising

This one, especially if you can spring a few more $$$$ - well worth the difference. Lots of better features on the 02+, nicer motor.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/1086095814.html

Decent looking RS with low miles - even with salgave title not bad buy - but try to negotiate for less because of it

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/1084838674.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DEcosse, I can't even think I why didn't do that! I'm in Cupertino, I can easily make it out to Sacramento for something like this. I'll contact those people, thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, and I'm not destitute, just cheap :) That one does seem like an infinitely better option for the peace of mind.

·
Registered
554 Posts
That -02 looks very nice, hardly riden too, bet it still got the original tyres on.

Bikes sure are cheap over there, would cost almost twice that here. :eek:

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
The green bike looks clean (and basically stock), but he amputated the rear fender. That will cause you problems if you decide to put the OEM bags on it.

Otherwise, it'll be the same considerations as are usual for a used bike.

Pull the dipstick and evaluate the quality of the oil. See if the fork seals are leaking. That kind of thing. There may be a good bit of soot in the tailpipe, especially if the engine has been started and stopped several times without being revved.

When you try to start it, wait until the fuel pump stops (and the indicator ('idiot') lamps get brighter) before you hit the starter button. Do not twist the throttle when you crank it. The engine should light in about 4 - 6 'thumps'. Normal fast idle will be roughly 1800rpm.

The 955i is a great motor. There aren't really any 'common issues' to look for on the ST.

You might want to carefully pop the front of the right side, rear fairing loose from the gas tank. The fairing has a big plastic mushroom peg that fits into a rubber grommet in the tank. Pull it away only enough to look under it.

Look to see if the bike has a Red (or metal of whatever color) 90 degree fuel fitting inserted in the side of the tank. The Red fitting is the one put on by the Dealerships as part of a recall. If both fittings (the other one is a straight connector on the end of a hose) are white plastic, you'll need to have that done. It's free, but a PITA. The hose (straight) fitting should be plastic, unless an aftermarket metal one was installed.

That's about it. Good luck!

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'd stay away from the 3 grand one, besides no records there's a couple other red flags.

Chopped license plate bracket...this is someone more worried about looks than functionality.

Missing grab rail. Form over function again.

Punched out locks...which means it probably WAS stolen and rode hard.

The 4.5K one looks better, but also some warning signs (chopped license mount again, integrated tail-light/turn signal).

Not saying that everyone who tries to make a Sprint look like a sport bike abuses them, but it does say they didn't buy it for its intended purpose. And if they didn't buy it to tour on, there's a better chance that maintenance wasn't a high priority either, as they're less likely to worry about being stranded far from home.

That said, I bought a 30K mile '99 with no service history for $3000. It was a good price, and semi-local (which had a huge influence on my decision).

But since then I've discovered it had the original air filter, original plugs, original chain/sprockets, no sign of the valves being inspected, original front brake pads, very old if not original brake fluid, out of sync throttle bodies, and some toxic looking stuff that was serving as coolant. Basically the only work done to it by the previous owners was (at least one) oil change, new Pilot Powers, and a set of rear brake pads, along with the fuel fitting recall.

Between me and the local dealership, I've dropped over $2k into it (valve adjustment, bearing replacement, chain, sprocket, plugs, TB sync, brakes and fluid, fork oil, radiator flush). That doesn't include all the farkles I've added.

That said, even with its poor state of maintenance, it was still running pretty damned good when I bought it, a testament to the durability of the bike.

But long story short, unless you're in a hurry, take some time to shop around, see if you can find a bike that's been loved, and already has what you're looking for on it (panniers, risers, etc).

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Last summer I picked up my '00 with 4500 miles on it for $4200. Not a scratch on it and had rear bags and a Triumph tank bag. Service records included. I do like that green though and was torn between green and black. Ended up with the black one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts