Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Well, I only watched the first minute and a half, but I can already tell them a good place to start would be with guys who ride their Harley baggers on dirt backroads.

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
The next film they made, was how to spot pedestrians that had been drinking. "Passed out in a public place semi naked surrounded by empty alcohol bottles? Exellent cue! Better than 50% chance the suspect has been drinking."

The film was a bit Captain Obvious, IMHO. They obviously think their LEO`s have a pretty low intelligence level if they need to be shown educational films like that to alert them to signs of drunken riding.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Agreed. And the thing that tweaked me though was the claim that urinating on the roadside is a cue. Heck, I do that all the time!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The next film they made, was how to spot pedestrians that had been drinking. "Passed out in a public place semi naked surrounded by empty alcohol bottles? Exellent cue! Better than 50% chance the suspect has been drinking."

The film was a bit Captain Obvious, IMHO. They obviously think their LEO`s have a pretty low intelligence level if they need to be shown educational films like that to alert them to signs of drunken riding.
She ain't drunk and passed out, I don't see no pool of vomit under her chin!

·
Registered
200 Posts
If a patrolman pulls a motorcyclist over and wants to check him for DWI, there will be cases where the biker is not DWI and may threaten suit for harassment. This video and the research behind it gives the officer cover to say, "No, I wasn't acting on impulse. Here is research that shows the behaviors I observed have a high correlation with DWI. I was justified in pulling this biker over."

In other words, this is a CYA video.

·
Premium Member
7,365 Posts
If a patrolman pulls a motorcyclist over and wants to check him for DWI, there will be cases where the biker is not DWI and may threaten suit for harassment. This video and the research behind it gives the officer cover to say, "No, I wasn't acting on impulse. Here is research that shows the behaviors I observed have a high correlation with DWI. I was justified in pulling this biker over."

In other words, this is a CYA video.
I didn`t realise that! Here, they can pull you over for no valid reason and virtually EVERY biker gets breath tested, when they are pulled over.

Often, on a sunday the cops will pick a popular local bike road, set up a checkpoint at the side of it for several hours and flag down EVERY passing motorbike, for a breath test, licence check and registration. They`ll usually have about four or five of them doing the breath tests and cop bike or fast traffic car waiting slightly ahead with the motor running, in case anyone does a runner.

If I sued every cop here that harrassed me or pulled me over for no reason, I`d be a billionaire.

Same in the UK, too.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I didn`t realise that! Here, they can pull you over for no valid reason and virtually EVERY biker gets breath tested, when they are pulled over.

Often, on a sunday the cops will pick a popular local bike road, set up a checkpoint at the side of it for several hours and flag down EVERY passing motorbike, for a breath test, licence check and registration. They`ll usually have about four or five of them doing the breath tests and cop bike or fast traffic car waiting slightly ahead with the motor running, in case anyone does a runner.

If I sued every cop here that harrassed me or pulled me over for no reason, I`d be a billionaire.

Same in the UK, too.
They do the same sort of things here. Usually there is some sort of special justification they come up with so you can't claim they are profiling or singling out one specific group even if they are.

As for suing every cop who harassed you (or me) you wouldn't be a billionaire, you'd be broke. Because it's basically impossible to beat the system!

(Unless you're a rich celebrity. Then you get to win. But just being a celebrity on a Triumph forum doesn't count :D )

·
Registered
4,514 Posts

I just wanted to agree with Rob , talk about a waste of taxes!! a huge study to determine the Bleedin Obvious :cool:

Also I wanted to see the drunk girl again :p

·
Banned
4,433 Posts
They do the same sort of things here. Usually there is some sort of special justification they come up with so you can't claim they are profiling or singling out one specific group even if they are.

As for suing every cop who harassed you (or me) you wouldn't be a billionaire, you'd be broke. Because it's basically impossible to beat the system!

(Unless you're a rich celebrity. Then you get to win. But just being a celebrity on a Triumph forum doesn't count :D )
Oh, you can do it, and you can win. It's just that he actually has to do something wrong.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Oh, you can do it, and you can win. It's just that he actually has to do something wrong.
Yes, we all know traffic cops are infallible; the very cream of society; mere scum like us bikers are unfit to walk the earth with them.

Yet oddly, a friend I used to ride with who was a former CHP motor officer has admitted having ... concerns ... with some practices. How can this be?

I'm not trying to get into some anti-police pissing contest with you. I made a light-hearted comment and you seem to be taking it way to seriously. If on the other hand you want to take this there then here goes:

Yes, I do happen to have some concerns about the constitutionality of some police practices such as biker-only check points. They have implemented such things here in the bay area, even getting special funding from the state for the program. I'm not sure how that can NOT be considered singling out a particular group. What if I were to implement a Hispanic-only checkpoint, pulling over anybody who appeared to be Hispanic simply to verify they were abiding by all laws? The collective heads of the ACLU members would explode if that were to happen, yet when the exact same policies are applied to common citizens who happen to be on motorcycles the response is a deafening ... 'meh'.

Why should I be concerned? Must I have something to 'hide' if I don't like these checkpoints? The truth is I've never actually been caught in one; they aren't typically done in my towns/cities. But I don't like it on principal. I don't like the inconsistency of it. The fact that it's alright to do to one group but not the other. By the same token I don't drink and drive, nor would I ever condone such behavior yet I don't like the idea of DUI checkpoints. At least the justification for those has been that they pull over every vehicle that passes that way, so they aren't singling out individuals. But simply pulling over every biker that passes through a given stretch of road because they are riding a bike? Under the premise of 'educating the public'? No, that sounds more like an attempt to drive out an 'unsavory' segment of society and maybe pick up a few extra bucks for the town coffers at the same time. Again I ask, how is this OK when deployed against motorcyclists but a crime when used against a given race or color of individual, and is it not cause for concern? At what point do we the people become worried about power grabs from those that are sworn to protect us? We give these people power over us, and in return we should - must - demand great restraint in the use of that power. However in some instances that restraint is anything but; it may in fact be seen more as an attempt to extend that power even further. Why should that not concern me? Or you?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Getting pulled over by a cop is like fishing. There's ones that get away and ones that get caught. Now check points are still like fishing, only the cops are using a net.

My best advice as always is don't drink alcohol and ride.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Solid advice indeed that simply can't be argued with.

However, the only way to avoid being pulled over in the example I sited above (it was an east-bay city, Livermore I think?) was to not be on a motorcycle. They pulled over every motorcycle on the pretense of 'education'. I'm not sure what education they were passing on, though they did write a large number of tickets for minor infractions that normally don't merit being pulled over on their own.

A cynical type might say the education was in learning that the police can pull you over any time they want for any thing they want.

(My personal all-time favorite, from many years ago in a small town in Indiana, was being told by an officer I was guilty unless I could prove myself innocent. Something about that didn't quite sound right...)

·
Registered
95 Posts
The AMA has an on-going battle against motorcycle-only checkpoints. They are not constitutional (at least in the US). However, since it's at the state (or even local) level, and each state approaches it differently, it is a time-consuming war. Unfortunately, profiling does work even though it a wide & over-used net. Lots of innocents get caught with the "perpetrators".

·
Registered
615 Posts
:beerchug agreed bro

True story - on the final day of an Irish Rally last year, the local cops called round and asked bikers if they fancied their chances blowing into the bag to see if they were fit to travel. Many found they were still above the limit and were advised to stay around and get a few coffee's. Fair play for the softly softly approach, unknown to those who were leaving that their was a checkpont a mile up the road

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

True story - on the final day of an Irish Rally last year, the local cops called round and asked bikers if they fancied their chances blowing into the bag to see if they were fit to travel. Many found they were still above the limit and were advised to stay around and get a few coffee's. Fair play for the softly softly approach, unknown to those who were leaving that their was a checkpont a mile up the road
That's awesome. You can't blame the LEOs after they give you a pass and you decide not to take it.

Around my old haunts the police used to spot DUIs by keeping my picture on the dashboard. :p

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I wonder if the studies gathered vehicle make data. It would be interesting to see if there's any correlation between alcohol-related incidents and make of motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

See, now that's policing I can get behind. You're much more likely to take to heart something like that than simply getting pinched. A cop who takes a minute to talk to you, rather than just read you the riot act and puff his chest out, will do a lot more for road safety than any number of tickets.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
My favourite "excellent cue" was the guy riding his full dresser Hog down the road while he was enjoying a beer.:D There is such a thing as "state dependent learning". How do you get good at a "skill" like drunk driving? Practice, practice, practice.:rolleyes:

Anybody who rides so hosed that they weave all over the road, run wide on slow corners, or can't dismount without falling over deserves to be pepper sprayed, tasered, and then arrested.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts