Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been getting some quotes for a 24,000 mile service.Gosh how much,
gulp.:eek:I am getting quotes of between £400 and £550.I really cannot get my head round the cost.Why so expensive?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Hi Stuart,

Triumph servicing is very expensive :eek:

I've just had my 12,000 mile service done for £230, as I checked the valve clearances myself and they were ok. If I'd let them check the valve clearances it was going to cost £450.

The 24,000 mile service is just the same as the 12,000 mile service more or less.

The reason it's so expensive is the fuel tank has to come off for a new filter, the fork oil gets changed and the valve clearances will be checked. Labour rates are high at a Triumph Dealer.

My advice - if you are mechanically minded, check the valve clearances yourself. If you are not mechanically minded - get mechanically minded very quickly :D

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generally I do all my own servicing,but as I have no garage I work outside on the patio.So as it is cold and wet,I thought I'd pay and have it done.But £400 is far to much money for my wallet.So it is back to usual and do it myself.
Has anybody done the throttle body balancing,is it the same as doing carbs,using vac guages?Also are the shims under bucket,or over bucket? ie do the cams need to come out?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Have you thought of a cheapo Gazeebo to work under, might be cold but it could keep you dry.
As for the throttle bodies - I hav`nt a clue, for the shims there is no need to remove the cams, if any need replacing you can buy a tool for about £40 from Triumph-online. I`ll be checking mine soon as 26k is up now and I wont be taking it to a main dealer.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Been getting some quotes for a 24,000 mile service.Gosh how much,
gulp.:eek:I am getting quotes of between £400 and £550.I really cannot get my head round the cost.Why so expensive?
go here - http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/2057.aspx and download the SERVICE INTERVAL CHART
for the Tigger, it will give you an idea of whats involved in a 24k service. then you can check off what you`ve done and get them to do the rest, if theres any jobs left. i`ve been doing this from new and still get the book stamped.

the more you do, the cheaper the bill !!

KK

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Stuart,

Here's a link to a recent valve clearances thread:

http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-workshop/96620-valve-clearances.html

There's some great photos on there courtesy of Kurgan :thumbsup:

Quite an easy job and if you have no special tool, it's just a case of lifting the cams up a bit.

Fork oil is another easy job, if you have the Haynes manual to do it. Well worth the investment.

Let us know how you get on :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks chaps was a little worried by the shims,but they seem to be relativly easy to do.The throttle balance is just the same as doing carbs.Apparantly no.1 is fixed and no's 2 and 3 adjust to it.
I have managed to borrow a garage for a few days in a couple of weeks time,so all is good.I will let you know how I get on at a later date.
Cheers:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts