Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright math/engineering heads...

I have found that I can keep my garage fairly comfortable by keeping a 1500W space heater on at all times.

My electric bill was 54.32 dollars for 625 KWH. This works out to

0.086912 dollars per KWH. (THIS IS BEFORE USING THE SPACE HEATER AT ALL ON A PREVIOUS BILL)

What I don't know is if the "1500 W" on the heater label, tells me all the info I need to know to make the calculation.

1500 W per minute? per hour?

Anyway, this is probably a no brainer for somebody that knows how appliances are rated, but I don't....:p

Thanks,

MD

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I'm a little confused. You live in Miami Florida right. Why do you own a space heater?

·
Registered
445 Posts
First off there a likely some strait fees rolled into that bill that are not part of the usage rate. Also, are there may demand fees with your service, IE you pay more at peak hours. Typically only locations that have high air conditioning loads like PHX. The 8 to 9 cents a kWh sound about right.

With the info you provided 1500 W on 24-7 for a month (720-744 hours for 30 or 31 day months) 732 avg. hours a month is 1500*732/1000 = 1098 kWh. 1098*0.086912 = $95.43 additional.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First off there a likely some strait fees rolled into that bill that are not part of the usage rate. Also, are there may demand fees with your service, IE you pay more at peak hours. Typically only locations that have high air conditioning loads like PHX. The 8 to 9 cents a kWh sound about right.

With the info you provided 1500 W on 24-7 for a month (720-744 hours for 30 or 31 day months) 732 avg. hours a month is 1500*732/1000 = 1098 kWh. 1098*0.086912 = $95.43 additional.
Ouch! I think I'm going to have to learn to deal with the cold and only turn it on when I'm working out there...

Thanks. That bill would have been an unpleasant surprise!

MD

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Just curious, but what is the reason to keep the heat on in a garage? Bikes don't freeze, unless you live in Canada! :D
It was 20 in my garage this morning, but the Sprint started up just fine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It was more of a "what will this luxury cost me" question. I hang out in the garage quite a lot. It's kind of more "a room in the house" than a remote place where I warehouse hardware.

To give you an idea, this is one of my past garages (pre-sprint). I'm still working on the one in the new house here in SC...

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Hello,

I understand as my garages are an extension of the home as well. I have a very similar setup...with the floor done in urethane rather than the race deck tile floor. Its fun to see peoples expressions when they see a garage like this.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Cool, so it's more of a man-cave than a garage! My garage isn't insulated, so I use a propane heater and an electric heater fan to take the chill off.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool, so it's more of a man-cave than a garage! My garage isn't insulated, so I use a propane heater and an electric heater fan to take the chill off.
I'm a bit of a space-head, so the propane is a no-no. I would remember AFTER I spilled half a gallon of gas on the floor trying to take off the bike's gas tank !!! I don't want to be THAT warm!!!

I guess on demand electric is the way to go...

MD

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just curious, but what is the reason to keep the heat on in a garage? Bikes don't freeze, unless you live in Canada! :D
It was 20 in my garage this morning, but the Sprint started up just fine.

I live in Canada, and my bikes don`t freeze, and I don't heat my garage. I keep my RS insured all year round, its sunny and 13c (55F) right now . I guess you just have to live in right part of Canada.;)

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
I live in Canada, and my bikes don`t freeze, and I don't heat my garage. I keep my RS insured all year round, its sunny and 13c (55F) right now . I guess you just have to live in right part of Canada.;)
I was reading on another forum of a guy in Canada with an FJR and he said it got so cold that it wouldn't start. It was well into the negative numbers for degrees F!
55 F is dang warm for this time of year here in Maine. It's 20 right now.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
I'm a bit of a space-head, so the propane is a no-no. I would remember AFTER I spilled half a gallon of gas on the floor trying to take off the bike's gas tank !!! I don't want to be THAT warm!!!
I keep my propane heater on the work bench, so if I do spill some gas, I have some time to get it turned off quick! If I know I'm going to be playing with gasoline, I'll keep the heaters off. I'd rather be cold than on fire! :eek:

·
Registered
288 Posts
1500 W per minute? per hour?
Since nobody answered that point... 1500 W is 1500 W .... Watts are power, an instantaneous thing. Think of a 60 watt light bulb. It's using 60 watts when it's on, 0 watts when it's off. A 120 watt light bulb uses twice as much power.

Energy is what you pay for. Energy is how much power you used in a span of time. So, 60 watts for an hour is the same amount of energy as 120 watts for a half-hour. The units of energy on your bill are kWh, or kilowatt-hours... 1000 watt hours.

·
Registered
288 Posts
By the way, I hope you guys with propane heaters are using ones made for indoor use! I'd recommend a CO detector, as well.

·
Super Moderator
21,508 Posts
... Energy is what you pay for. Energy is how much power you used in a span of time. So, 60 watts for an hour is the same amount of energy as 120 watts for a half-hour. The units of energy on your bill are kWh, or kilowatt-hours... 1000 watt hours.
And as a futher extenion of that, your 1500W appliance (= 1.5kW) when used for one hour will consume 1.5kW-hr

So at your posted rate

A.....This works out to

0.086912 dollars per KWH. ....
That means for every hour of operation, it would cost you about $0.13.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts