Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is selling his 1973 Bonneville. He originally wanted $4000, then said he would take $3800, and is now down to $3200.

I'm a Harley rider and know nothing of Triumphs, especially one that is 35 years old. He says it runs a little rich, but otherwise is fine.

What are your thoughts on this bike?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don`t think you can accurately value a one-off like this. It is worth what someone is willing to pay. I quite like it, but a hardtail would be no use on the roads around me!
If I WAS after something like this I would want to pay around £2000as it has a Triumph engine. If it was a jap motor I would pay around £1500 if mechanically sound.
Just my personal view mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in Texas. The bike is an old friend on mines in Corpus.

Where do you live Sean?

Looks like lhd drive car so maybe USA or Canada?

Any chance of it becoming road legal? - no front brake and all.

Grant:cool:

·
Registered
438 Posts
My thoughts...

It has no brakes. Some bobbers just have a rear, but this one hasn't any.

The back of the seat is too low. It'll need new springs or higher mounts.

There's no air filtration. I'd be concerned how long it was run like that.

No mufflers. I'd be concerned how long it was run like that. May not be so bad if the bike is running rich.

The foot pegs need to be redone.

Needs paint even if it's a rattle can matte job.

No speedo. No odo.

Around here, bobbers are $3500 for a basic completed one. There are pricier ones, but they have springer front ends, sissy bars, etc. The bike is still a project and needs a fair amount of work. Then there's the potential head/cylinder damage caused by running without filters and mufflers. I like the bobber style, and it seems to be making a bit of a come back. Might be something to finish, ride, and sell in a year for a profit when the trend is strengthened.

Right now i'd put it around $1-1200 under what i thought i'd get for it completed to cover time, fab, and parts. So prolly $2500.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts