Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how much riding during winter is enough to NOT mothball a Bonnie? I'm on the cusp of buying and am wondering if , at this point, I should just wait till spring as Im not sure how much winter riding I'd be doing. So, are weekends enough after the 500 mi break in? Thanks for any info in this matter.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'd think if you ride it once a week you'll rack up more miles than a dentist on a Road King
:hihi: :jest: :razz: :lollol: :clown: :)

If it ain't raining, freezing, or fogging, I'm RIDING!
:-D

·
Registered
683 Posts
On 2006-11-17 08:22, sweatmachine wrote:
I'd think if you ride it once a week you'll rack up more miles than a dentist on a Road King.

That should be fine.
Bwaaahhaaaaaaaahhaaaaaaa..... you've met some of those H.O.G. riders?/owners huh, SM ??????
I've actually dealt with some that brought there bikes in for the 1st service 2 YEARS after purchase, I've SEEN full dressers TRAILERRED in for a local H.O.G. ride, and the traileree only lived 20 miles from the dealership!

It was sickenning!

But back to the point..... ride when you can, and if in doubt, just keep some StaBil in the fuel.

Not really cold yesterday, but 52 degrees, 95% humidity, 30mph winds, 2 lane black top, wet leaves, and 70mph.....now THAT will get the adrenaline pumping. And I'll color it FUN all day long. Just wish I'd had more time, as I had to limit it to a 60 mile jaunt.

Oh yeah...I didn't see the first H.O.G. rider out there....anywhere!

[ This message was edited by: kliff on 2006-11-17 08:50 ]

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a 106 mile round trip to work that's mostly boring motorways so I only use the bike in winter when the weather is saying "get out there!". So long as it gets a run once a week there's no need to mothball it. Cleaning (especially once they start salting the roads), copious use of WD40 and keeping the tank topped up between rides should be good enough to see her through the winter OK, though if it gets stupidly cold in Jan/Feb I might take out the battery and keep it on an optimate during the week.

Besides, it might be nice weather on Christmas day. Can you think of a better present than to get a rideout on the Bonnie when traffic is lower than almost any other time of year? If you don't 'winterise' the bike, you'll be able to hop on and go at will.
:-D

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm with you Steviek - I went on a round trip from Ely to Peterborough to the dealer to get some oil and filter - about 75 miles and the sky was blue- road damp - wet leaves blowing around - looking forward to getting out over Christmas to blow the cobwebs away.

Less traffic etc. Mind you up here in the fens it's deserted anyways most of the time. I haven't seen a pirate HOG for weeks, ever since the temp went down to below 65f - they're sooooo manly y'know.

There's no such thing as bad weather - it's only bad when you have the wrong clothes - ( Billy Connolly)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had this dilemma, should I store or ride, especially as I have only just bought the bike but I have decided to liberally coat every piece of steel with WD 40 and grease and use her when I can. It is why I bought it for after all!

If My lovely shiny Bonnie gets rusty I will have to deal with it.

That is my opinion :-D

·
Registered
711 Posts
tom, I see you have another bike, so not to be too basic or insulting to your prior experience, here is my 2 cents.

Store as manufacturer suggests if you can't ride long enough to void moisture from engine/exhaust or you will add condensation to places they're not beneficial to. 30-40 minute ride at operating temps should be fine. A five minute ride around the neighborhood doesn't do it.

Take care of standing sand, salt, icy spots and that it may take a little longer to warm your tires up.

As suggested, a little fuel stabilizer and a battery tender can help temporary storage in long periods of bad weather where riding is not an option for you.

For me, a sunny day in the 30-40's is a good place to start a ride.

Be safe, enjoy your new T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts