Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just curious to know if anyone has any idea as to how much extra hp you get from TORS on a Scrambler?

Oh and what do they do to the torque figure too?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
On their own, probably no discernable difference that you’d be aware of.

But they certainly sound better!!.

V.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Improved throttle reponse

Beena, I'd also like to know if anyone out there has done a Dyno to check this.

What I DO know is the throttle is more repsonsive with the TORs - I don't need a mechanic / DYNO to tell me that! :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They surely must do something to the figures as they are basically just a straight through pipe. I thought less restrictive meant more power?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I also would suggest little or no extra power. You have to work both sides of the equation and let more in to the engine to get more out.

i thought i was getting better response but it was just the sound making me twist the throttle more

·
Registered
425 Posts
To me the Scrambler appears to pull out of roundabouts & corners in a higher gear & I can short change even 2up where as before I tended to use more RPM....but this could all because of the extra noise from the TORs.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
My personal view is TORS will add approx. 3-5 hp because the factory silencers are so bottled up. I have read 8hp in a couple of places but that seems a bit optimistic. An engine is an air pump. Adding TORS requires rejetting because the pump is now pushing more air through it. It stands to reason that the engine is fractionally more powerful when adding fuel to derive the same AF ratio.
HTH,
George

·
Registered
521 Posts
The Triumph shop said maybe 1 or 2 hp of actual power increase, along with a rejet. What you paying for is a much improved sound and snappier throttle response.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
even with the TORS you are still have the airbox, which is very restrictive. TORS with the airbox removed and a rejet will give you the most HP gain, not just putting on new pipes. and if you are gonna spend the money for TORS you might as well get a superior pipe like dominators or predators which allow the bike to breathe even better and sound way better as well.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
even with the TORS you are still have the airbox, which is very restrictive. TORS with the airbox removed and a rejet will give you the most HP gain, not just putting on new pipes. and if you are gonna spend the money for TORS you might as well get a superior pipe like dominators or predators which allow the bike to breathe even better and sound way better as well.
+1 ON THAT TORS ARE A WASTE OF GOOD MONEY

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I can't say regarding the Scrambler, as it is at a lower state of tune, but my Thruxton with TORS and standard air filter made 60bhp at the rear wheel (red line) and 65bhp (blue line) with air box removed and K&N's fitted. I never checked the bike with stock cans, but Bob Farnham said most stock Thruxtons run made around 54bhp.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So TORs are worth about 6hp. This would make sense as I seem to remember that was the figure quoted in 2001 when I brought mine for the Bonnie.

If you are looking for an easy upgrade, I would recommend the DynoJet stage 1 kit (I'm talking about the Bonnie - I'm not sure if they do one for the Scrambler). It's not cheap, but it is a lot cheaper than a set of TORs, and gives a good result. IMHO, it seemed to be at least as good as the TORs - no dyno to back it up, just what it feels like to ride. It will also work with TORs as it comes with 4 sets of jets.

·
Driftless Admin
2008 Bonneville Black
12,242 Posts
So TORs are worth about 6hp. This would make sense as I seem to remember that was the figure quoted in 2001 when I brought mine for the Bonnie.

If you are looking for an easy upgrade, I would recommend the DynoJet stage 1 kit (I'm talking about the Bonnie - I'm not sure if they do one for the Scrambler). It's not cheap, but it is a lot cheaper than a set of TORs, and gives a good result. IMHO, it seemed to be at least as good as the TORs - no dyno to back it up, just what it feels like to ride. It will also work with TORs as it comes with 4 sets of jets.
But will the DynoJet do any good with the restrictive stock cans in place?

I have the TORs and I love the sound, but I don't want anything too loud, just a nice rumble. A Uni air filter and polaris belmouth is a cheap way to open up the airbox-side of the carbs. That with a rejet is a nice cost/power balance in my book. If robnobreaks numbers are close that's about a 10hp pickup, or about 20%. Well, maybe robnobreaks had no airbox and pods instead of the a Uni, but even a 10% HP pickup and the nicer sound is worth the bucks.

But I'm a cheapskate.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just curious to know if anyone has any idea as to how much extra hp you get from TORS on a Scrambler?

Oh and what do they do to the torque figure too?
very little, but will sound better.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i wouldnt spend the money on TORs when you can get more horsepower and better sound with going with aftermarket exhaust. D&D's, Norman Hydes, Thunderbike exhaust, or Thunderbike exhaust would be the ticket to go on exhaust for your money

1 - 20 of 23 Posts