Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive drained the main oil system. I now want to run the engine for a few mins to test whether I have rectified a leak at the oil junction block. Do I need to add the whole 6 pints of oil - or would less provide a safe test for running the engine for 5-10 mins? 1966 3TA

Thanks

A

·
7,053 Posts
Hi Al,

1966 3TA
want to run the engine for a few mins to test
need to add the whole 6 pints of oil
:) You got "6 pints" from the parts book 'data sheet'? It's a mistake, wa-aa-ay too much ...

It's a thread of mistakes running through Triumph publications:-

. US pints (and gallons) are smaller than the Imperial equivalents, because US pints are only 16 fluid ounces whereas Imperial pints are 20 fluid ounces;

. however, as in this case, the figures were sometimes put in manuals without a "U.S." or "Imperial" suffix;

. in the case certainly of the '66 parts book 'data sheet', someone else has assumed "6 pints" is "Imperial" and converted it to "3.5 litres". (n)

All Triumph 'dry frame' oil tanks take 5 Imperial pints, the remaining space allowing primarily for expansion when hot but also a little over-filling; Triumph later fitted oil tank caps with a dipstick, originals marked "FULL" and "ADD 1 PINT"; even my T160's were at the "FULL" mark with 5 Imperial pints.

6 Imperial pints in your bike's tank, a) the oil'll be harder to warm up to a proper 100*C operating temperature; b) you risk an overflow when the oil is fully-warm. :(

want to run the engine for a few mins to test
need to add the whole 6 pints of oil - or would less provide a safe test for running the engine for 5-10 mins?
Fwiw, as oil has been sold here in litres for donkey's years, I've long found it more convenient to fill any of my Triumph's tanks with 3 litres (slightly more than 5 Imperial pints) during the summer and 2.5 litres during the spring and autumn - the smaller quantity helps raise the temperature quicker - no problems noted with the smaller quantity.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Al,

:) You got "6 pints" from the parts book 'data sheet'? It's a mistake, wa-aa-ay too much ...

It's a thread of mistakes running through Triumph publications:-

. US pints (and gallons) are smaller than the Imperial equivalents, because US pints are only 16 fluid ounces whereas Imperial pints are 20 fluid ounces;

. however, as in this case, the figures were sometimes put in manuals without a "U.S." or "Imperial" suffix;

. in the case certainly of the '66 parts book 'data sheet', someone else has assumed "6 pints" is "Imperial" and converted it to "3.5 litres". (n)

All Triumph 'dry frame' oil tanks take 5 Imperial pints, the remaining space allowing primarily for expansion when hot but also a little over-filling; Triumph later fitted oil tank caps with a dipstick, originals marked "FULL" and "ADD 1 PINT"; even my T160's were at the "FULL" mark with 5 Imperial pints.

6 Imperial pints in your bike's tank, a) the oil'll be harder to warm up to a proper 100*C operating temperature; b) you risk an overflow when the oil is fully-warm. :(

Fwiw, as oil has been sold here in litres for donkey's years, I've long found it more convenient to fill any of my Triumph's tanks with 3 litres (slightly more than 5 Imperial pints) during the summer and 2.5 litres during the spring and autumn - the smaller quantity helps raise the temperature quicker - no problems noted with the smaller quantity.

Hth.

Regards,
Masterful reply as always Stuart!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
My Triumph 650 land speed racer runs flat out for 1-1/2 miles on 64 ounces of oil......

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The bike has a return line filter... it only makes about 5 runs down the track each year over the course of 4 years. The full synthetic oil was changed once when I stripped the engine for inspection......Currently the bike is not being used...

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Hi Kevin,
Did you arrive at the 64 ounces after experimentation, measuring final oil temperature at the end of a run?

I wonder how engine wear is affected on bikes with total loss oil systems (old school speedway bikes, etc.), effectively running on a supply of cold oil. I suppose this is taken into account when choosing the viscosity.
Regards
Peg.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Uh, I only had two quarts of oil, seriously I just used less figuring that's all it needs.
.Always try to get some heat into the engine before making a run ... I believe the 20-50 Valvoline VR1 full synthetic flows better at moderate temperatures than conventional.
I believe most of the total loss Speedway engines have roller lower ends?

·
Registered
317 Posts
lol

that ugly guy isnt kevin

kevin is this ugly guy

having confessed to that, i also confess i have never measured the oil that goes into any of my bikes. i stick my finger in the tank and when enough of it is covered in oil i call it good. i make sure the level is below the return port so i can see the oil coming back.

i also warm the motor up while im waiting to run. i start it two or three times and run it until the jugs are too hot to leav3 my hand there. by the time im at the line the oil is hot.

i use brad penn 30w breakin oil at first, and then go to valvoline 20w50 racing oil. dry primary, so friction mofifiers dont hurt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts