Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 street twin
91 Posts
Being a returning rider after 30 plus years I have practiced my riding skills. Quality of said practice is unknown but I feel I am improving in confidence, focus and relaxation in the seat.
I fancy myself as a driver with a little bit of car club competitive driving experience and lots of cross country drives so my road knowledge is sound... however I am not the same as a rider as a driver. Riding with experienced friends has helped bring abilities and confidence up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being a returning rider after 30 plus years I have practiced my riding skills. Quality of said practice is unknown but I feel I am improving in confidence, focus and relaxation in the seat.
I fancy myself as a driver with a little bit of car club competitive driving experience and lots of cross country drives so my road knowledge is sound... however I am not the same as a rider as a driver. Riding with experienced friends has helped bring abilities and confidence up.
I think it is great that you are practicing your riding skills and that you feel like you are improving in confidence, focus and relaxation in the seat. Are there specific exercises you are working on that you feel are contributing to those successes?

What would you say is the most important riding technique that you think could help you improve your confidence, focus and relaxation even further?

·
Premium Member
2017 T120 Black
452 Posts
Hey Misti,

I'll be headed to Willow Springs again for Level III of the super bike school in March. Lately, I have been practicing a lot of slow speed skills on a training range. I have a friend who does Gymkana, and I've been working with him. It's been pretty fun. I have also been setting up a wider circle at the range and practicing body position at higher speeds. This is really helping a lot--I feel that I have improved my body position and transitioning a lot. Hopefully, I'll get more better at the course :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Misti,

I'll be headed to Willow Springs again for Level III of the super bike school in March. Lately, I have been practicing a lot of slow speed skills on a training range. I have a friend who does Gymkana, and I've been working with him. It's been pretty fun. I have also been setting up a wider circle at the range and practicing body position at higher speeds. This is really helping a lot--I feel that I have improved my body position and transitioning a lot. Hopefully, I'll get more better at the course :)
Sounds great!! I'm stoked for you! I sure wish I could be there but I'm kinda stuck here in Canada (not a bad thing) but I do really miss coaching and my Superbike School family! Level 3 is all about the relationship between the bike and the rider and should really help you solidify your body position and transitioning across the bike, which it sounds like you have been working on!

What are some things you have already been working on? :)

·
Premium Member
2017 T120 Black
452 Posts
I just finished up Levels 3 and 4 this weekend at Streets of Willow Springs. It was probably the most improvement in my riding I've experienced.

Level 3 was fantastic, as I was having trouble transitioning through linked curves (4,5, and 6 --- 12, 13, 14). I was doing the lift and plop thing. The 2nd and 3rd drills really made me change the way I do it, and provided a much more stable transition. I also felt like as the day went on, I rarely was out of position or moving. My legs were sore when I woke up on Sunday.

Then, level 4 was just amazing. By the time session 5 came around, I felt that every lap was smoother and faster.

I had a really great coach both days, SAM, very friendly and helpful. In level four, I felt almost like I had him all to myself.

Overall, one of the best weekends I have had in a long time.

Next time, I am going to bring my T120 and do another level 4. I feel like at this track the slowness of the bike won't make me a pariah, especially if I go with the level 1 groups.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just finished up Levels 3 and 4 this weekend at Streets of Willow Springs. It was probably the most improvement in my riding I've experienced.

Level 3 was fantastic, as I was having trouble transitioning through linked curves (4,5, and 6 --- 12, 13, 14). I was doing the lift and plop thing. The 2nd and 3rd drills really made me change the way I do it, and provided a much more stable transition. I also felt like as the day went on, I rarely was out of position or moving. My legs were sore when I woke up on Sunday.

Then, level 4 was just amazing. By the time session 5 came around, I felt that every lap was smoother and faster.

I had a really great coach both days, SAM, very friendly and helpful. In level four, I felt almost like I had him all to myself.

Overall, one of the best weekends I have had in a long time.

Next time, I am going to bring my T120 and do another level 4. I feel like at this track the slowness of the bike won't make me a pariah, especially if I go with the level 1 groups.
Excellent to hear! Thanks for sharing. I love how well you explain what you learned in the level 3 program. What would you say was your biggest takeaway from Level 4? I love how we can custom tailor it to each individual student's needs.

:) I was supposed to coach that series of schools but boo, I still can't travel from Canada.....can't wait to get back at it.

·
Premium Member
2017 T120 Black
452 Posts
Excellent to hear! Thanks for sharing. I love how well you explain what you learned in the level 3 program. What would you say was your biggest takeaway from Level 4?
Hey Misti, I wrote up an overall review of the school here, but in level four I really wanted to work on vision and lines. During level 3 video session with Cobie, he pointed out some issues, and I wanted to work on them in 4. So, that's what I worked on with Dylan and the coach. It was a very good day.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Misti, I wrote up an overall review of the school here, but in level four I really wanted to work on vision and lines. During level 3 video session with Cobie, he pointed out some issues, and I wanted to work on them in 4. So, that's what I worked on with Dylan and the coach. It was a very good day.

Awesome, I read your write-up in the other thread! Thanks for posting that and I'm glad you had such a great day in Level 4. It's such a good program that I've had the opportunity to see grow and improve over the years I've been coaching (16+) There really isn't a better way of improving your riding than with all the one to one and personalize instruction that you are able to get in Level 4. So cool! And Streets of Willow is such a great training track as it has so many corners in such a short amount of time and all different so you get to practice everything you learn on a wicked variety of corners. Sounds like it was helpful for you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts