Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, new to forum , new to speed triple. it's cold here in NJ, ironicly, this is when i have the most time to ride. was thinking about heated jacket and gloves and was wandering if anyone knew how many watts ( if that is the correct measure ) the alternator ( 08 speed triple ) can handle before there is significant battery drainage.
don't want the bike to die after an hour!

·
Registered
113 Posts
to make an attempt to answer your Q, you should be fine, I've read that others run the same without incidence...do a search to verify

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

sorry, I couldn't resist...
maybe i'll go to radio shack and pick up a flux capacitor...should only be about $ 2.49. just splice it in between battery and alternator
:D. seriously, that's exactly what i wanted to hear. thanks to all for the replies ! great forum !

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. I am running a first gear heated liner with heated grips. No problems but if I leave everything on high for more than few minutes after I shut off the motor, it will hesitate to fire up. Then, if I turn off everything, it fires fine.

Speedy's have 35 amp alternators. volt x amp =watt. So in a 12 volt system, that's about 420 watts. The alternator can pump out 14.4 volts so that's about 500 watts max. You can add up all the things that are on like your headlights and heated gear,grips, whatever and see how many left over watts you got. I've read reports of testers trying all this heated stuff and their consensus is alternators yielding 250 watts=bad. 300 watts=okay. 400 watts=good.

Now I won't ride without my heated grips at least. It's one of those things you don't know what you're missing. Then, there is no going back once you have a taste.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts