Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i was wondering if anyone had a any projections for how many street triples were going to be sent to the US this year and how man street triple R are being sent to the US in 2009 id love to know

·
Registered
904 Posts
Information I have read (and my dealer said he heard the same thing) was that current plans are to ship around 1,000 Street Triples to the US for the 2009 model year, with the larger percentage of those being the "R" variant. That's a very small amount of bikes considering how large in demand they are, but it's my understanding that there is quite a waiting list in Europe for buyers and with the British pound hammering the dollar Triumph can't make them fast enough so satisfy demand there, let alone here (in the USA).
I was really lucky - I just happened to contact my local (about 80 miles away) Triumph dealer about a week before he got one in. He emailed me promptly when it arrived and I scarfed it up. :) He told me he probably would not be able to get another ST3 until later in the spring of 2009.

Neanderthal

·
Registered
14 Posts
low numbers for 2009 may be somehow good for you?, but not so good for those trying to find one. the triple street, S or stock, seems like the ideal bike for me. i'm about to give up and look for an alternative, probably not a triumph, but i'm not sure what the best fallback might be.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
low numbers for 2009 may be somehow good for you?, but not so good for those trying to find one. the triple street, S or stock, seems like the ideal bike for me. i'm about to give up and look for an alternative, probably not a triumph, but i'm not sure what the best fallback might be.

I would definitely go to a dealer and put a deposit on one. My dealer is only going to get another one this year if someone has money on it. They only got my R because I put a deposit on it 4 months ago.

On a side note why wouldn't you want an R?

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
On a side note why wouldn't you want an R?
Unless a person is going to dabble with it on the track, or is an elitist who's more into specs than demonstrable cost-effective results, he might decide he wants to save all that extra $$$ for other things.

That's one possible reason. There can be others. Some of us, for instance, actually enjoy a standard that feels like the old English sportbikes we grew up on (minus their need for constant maintenance, of course)! To each his own.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Unless a person is going to dabble with it on the track, or is an elitist who's more into specs than demonstrable cost-effective results, he might decide he wants to save all that extra $$$ for other things.

That's one possible reason. There can be others. Some of us, for instance, actually enjoy a standard that feels like the old English sportbikes we grew up on (minus their need for constant maintenance, of course)! To each his own.
I don't want to sidetrack this thread so I'm just going to say this and leave it at that.

If you have the option of an R or no Street Triple I think I would buy the R even if I really wanted the standard model. As far as the suspension and brakes being only beneficial on the track I would have to disagree. The brakes on the R while they may not actually give you a benefit on the street are exceedingly positive feeling with a lot of feedback. The suspension is the reason I got this bike. My FZ6 would get kind of loose feeling on really rough roads. The R does not and I have the suspension softened up a lot from the stock settings. Also when I tour on it I'll be able to stiffen it up for the additional load.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts