Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Well, according to one member on here if you get any more than about 1500 miles out of them, you don't know how to ride and should sell your bike and take up quilting, or macrame.

I got almost 6k out of my front. That included a couple track days and 2 trips to Deal's Gap. Other than that, most of my riding is commuting. I picked up a couple punctures in my rear tire, and the second time I plugged it, it wouldn't hold air, so that was replaced at about 2k miles for another stocker that was still looking half decent when I finally replaced both at about 7k.

I know, the math doesn't really work. I put off replacing the front until well after I should have. If you keep on top of the pressures, and don't ride everywhere at full-on plaid, you probably should get something around 4-6k out of them. That will also depend on how abrasive your roads are.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm sitting at 5225 on mine. That's with a track day too. Of course I'm super light and there are no corners in Illinois, so there's that.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
I would advise you to ignore the mileage and replace them when they need it. I wanted to get one more track day out of mine, before I got new tires and this was the result.

Don't be like me. :eek:

·
Read Only
130 Posts
I basically just commute, with a tiny bit of spirited riding every now and then, but I'm probably 80% highway. I have 6500 miles on them and am hoping to get 8000 out of them before they need replacing.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I got a little over 3K on my OEM Pirellis. I started to get a severe vibration in left hand turns and out they went.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I got almost 5000 mostly commute miles out of mine & could have stretched farther. Rear was flat in the center and had a slow leak. Front had life left as well. Since I already had a new set I got in sale I decided to just replace both tires.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tire mileage seems to vary based upon the abrasiveness of the paving in your region. I've marveled at some people getting 6,000 to 10,000 miles on tires. Here in northern CA I'm happy to get 4,000 miles per set. It varies somewhat depending on whether you run pure sport or sport touring tires. Regardless, it's a major expense. The best combination of feel, grip, and longevity for me has been the Metzler Sportec M7 RR, though there are many excellent tires available.

·
Registered
613 Posts
i'm at about 5200 miles on my original front. It's sort of OK but the tread blocks are getting pretty feathered--probably more from braking than cornering. I just received a replacement for the front since we're off to do some fun riding in the VA mountains in July.

I can't say about the rear because I'm on my third tire due to nail and lag screw punctures. Junk in the road gets to be pretty expensive.

·
Registered
246 Posts
What tires are on the stock bike?

I've been looking at the Pirelli Diablo supercorsa v2. How are those?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Supercorsas are an incredibly aggressive tire. I'd buy them for a bike that sees mostly track, but otherwise I'd opt for something less aggressive for street use. You'll wear them out in no time.

·
Read Only
130 Posts
What tires are on the stock bike?

I've been looking at the Pirelli Diablo supercorsa v2. How are those?
Stock tires are the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa, and I agree with Beatle. Supercorsa are a step above in aggressiveness, and will wear out very quickly.

Diablo Supercorsa - Track tire that can be used on the street
Diablo Rosso Corsa - Street tire, excellent on the track
Diablo Rosso II/III - Street tire, can be used on the track but is mainly a street tire

·
Registered
579 Posts
My '08 came with the old Dunlop Q3's. Still on when I bought it last year with very low mileage. I got them to 5500 miles before I replaced them with Pilot Road 4's.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Stock tires are the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa, and I agree with Beatle. Supercorsa are a step above in aggressiveness, and will wear out very quickly.

Diablo Supercorsa - Track tire that can be used on the street
Diablo Rosso Corsa - Street tire, excellent on the track
Diablo Rosso II/III - Street tire, can be used on the track but is mainly a street tire
Thanks. I'm not really worried about tire life. I have Q3's and the front tire has lots of life left. The rear I have about 1400 miles on and it's almost to the wear bars on the sides. So I'm guessing I have a couple sessions left in it. And I was going to try a set.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I goy 4500 on rear before chord showed. I want to say it showed pretty soon after i hit the center wear bars. Went with the M7rr. Nice tire but i never ride in less than sunny conditions so ill prob opt for q3's next

1 - 20 of 21 Posts