Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, probably my rapidly onsetting dementia:frown2: but three times now in the past month or two I've left the key turned on when parking the bike and ran the battery down where it would not start. This last time it was dead enough my compact Li jump starter wouldn't work. After recharging I put a battery tester on it and it showed fine on the voltage but in the upper 'weak' zone when load tested. What I'm wondering is how many times I can do this before I should start thinking of replacing the battery. I'd rather not wait until the battery is totally dead some day and I'm far from home.

Edit - the bike (thus battery) is only 7 months old.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Just make a habit of taking your key out as soon as you stop, never use the kill switch as thats one way of forgetting to turn your key off and your insurance will not help if you left the key in your bike when leaving it if it goes missing.

Ashley

·
Registered
27 Posts
OK, probably my rapidly onsetting dementia:frown2: but three times now in the past month or two I've left the key turned on when parking the bike and ran the battery down where it would not start. This last time it was dead enough my compact Li jump starter wouldn't work. After recharging I put a battery tester on it and it showed fine on the voltage but in the upper 'weak' zone when load tested. What I'm wondering is how many times I can do this before I should start thinking of replacing the battery. I'd rather not wait until the battery is totally dead some day and I'm far from home.

Edit - the bike (thus battery) is only 7 months old.
If you are that worried, why not replace it? It's not serious money for a new battery and that would put your mind at rest. And as Ashman says, get into the habit of always removing the key when parked to ensure it's turned off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts