Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that the '05 RS came with a single sided swingarm to help sell off the last of the discontinued stock and there's no 'under the surface' mods that would suprise someone who works on other sprint models.

There's plenty of standard swingarm RS's around but I haven't seen any with the SSSA like mine. Is there any way to find out how many have been sold in Oz?

Mine rides well and I intend to hold onto it, is there any chance it'll be considered 'valuable' some day? Maybe a rare or collector's bike?

Mine's secondhand and I think the big RS stickers were removed by the previous owner, were they on the new '05 RS?

Lastly, is there any easy way to filter this Sprint sub-forum to find the threads that are specific the the RS?

My Blue RS extras are centrestand, radiator grill, hugger, headlight protector, second headlight relays, stainless off-road triumph exhaust (plenty of positive feedback about the sound from other riders), venturer rack, rear seat cowl, Triumph swingarm finisher/cover, Garmin ZUMO 550 GPS, throttle lock and soon to install a cruise control from http://www.mccruise.com/shop/index.html .

I was looking at getting the belly pan, but it seems the SSSA will clash with it :(

Cheers,
Lenny

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Hmmmmm I thought the RS was discontinued in 2004 and in 2004 you could get both SSSA or DSSA depending on the production.

I could be wrong but I have never seen an 05 RS. I love the 04 SSSA RS. Its on my want list.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to the forum Lenny.:)

AS far as I know Calliway is correct, certainly the Sprint was only available in 955 engine format until '04, where the 1050 was introduced in '05.

Try advanced search and keep refining your search, either that or wait for Steventhechef, as he also has an RS and is familiar with the subject you are enquiring about.

Don and I also ask all new members to please read this forums stickies.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
The last few hundred RS models made had a single-sided swingarm and did not have the ginormous silver RS stickers on the fairing. They were 2004 model year bikes in the US, but model years are variable things subject to the whims of manufacturers, importers, dealers, & local laws, so perhaps that's why yours is called a 2005. (My 2004 was built in May of 2003, BTW.)

Cheers & welcome,
-Kit

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
Hi Lenny and welcome to the forum.

There are a few 955i ST's around, fewer DSSA RS's and even fewer 04 SSSA RS's. They did not make them in 2005.

There was (supposedly) a fire in the part of Triumph factory that made the DSSA RS that destroyed the frame jigs and swingarm components at the beginning of 03.

As the RS was not the hit that Triumph thought it would be they discontinued the model but not until they used the "British Parts Bin" method to get rid of the other bits.

The earlier RS had the different "racier" head rake angle and a firmer shockie compared to your 04. The 04 did not have the big chrome RS stickers on the side of the fairing.

I have seen a few 04 RS's here in Brisbane but only 3 or 4, all blue in colour. Hold on, it may have been the same bike! :D Not really, they were different riders.

The belly pan will fit but only the 02-04 model belly pan will fit your model unless you want to do the cut out for the alternator end. They are even rarer than the 04 RS!!

They are only as valuable to the what the highest bidder is willing to pay, but mine has not lost value since I bought it 4 years ago but neither has it increased.

The RS is one of the best kept secrets in the Triumph range IMHO. Shhhhhh!!! Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting sports bikes. ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hiya Lenny, welcome to that most exclusive group, the SSSA RS owners! You're in good company if I do say so myself!

The boys above have summed up the general consensus around here on the rarity of our beast, so I'll defer to them for the facts and just say "Welcome!" :D

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Did somebody say there was an RS around here???

I saw it first!

I have dibs on it!

Get the hell outa my way!

Dont stand between me and an RS....!

(Especially if its black with A TOR pipe)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts