Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering if anyone knows what the dB rating is for the stock cans on the 08 model and what the dB rating is on a MIVV GP setup with the baffle and dB killer removed?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mivv with the baffle in, is European noise law compliant. Mivv with out the baffle...start handing out ear plugs. :)

I have never run my Mivv with the baffle and can tell you that it is loud, but it also sounds very good. I live in Portland, Oregon and have never been hassled over the noise.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I prefer my Mivv with the dB killer out, but with the Arrow Low Mount-SAI removed tune, it idles smoother with the dB killer in.

I'm waiting for my tuneboy to arrive shortly.

It's SOO much deeper with the dB killer out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mivv with the baffle in, is European noise law compliant. Mivv with out the baffle...start handing out ear plugs. :)

I have never run my Mivv with the baffle and can tell you that it is loud, but it also sounds very good. I live in Portland, Oregon and have never been hassled over the noise.
Here in Australia our law for exhaust noise is 94dB well for bikes anyway and no one would even blink an eye if you were probably even at 100dB so i am not too worries as we're pretty easy going out here.

Also Darkhorse would you say that the idle is too rough to live with or is it just a little lumpy?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Here in Australia our law for exhaust noise is 94dB well for bikes anyway and no one would even blink an eye if you were probably even at 100dB so i am not too worries as we're pretty easy going out here.

Also Darkhorse would you say that the idle is too rough to live with or is it just a little lumpy?
I think Europe is 90dB. As the fiberglass packing breaks in, it quiets down a bit too.

I got a low mount Arrow tune put on at the dealer and no roughness or lumpiness at all. It seems to be as good as stock. It made the throttle a lot crisper as well and it seemed the bike was a lot more willing to rev. Here in the states we have the SAI, air recirculation system, where I don't think you do, only difference that it makes is it pops a little bit and spits blue flames from time to time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Europe is 90dB. As the fiberglass packing breaks in, it quiets down a bit too.

I got a low mount Arrow tune put on at the dealer and no roughness or lumpiness at all. It seems to be as good as stock. It made the throttle a lot crisper as well and it seemed the bike was a lot more willing to rev. Here in the states we have the SAI, air recirculation system, where I don't think you do, only difference that it makes is it pops a little bit and spits blue flames from time to time.
Yea i am not worried about the popping at all... Did you say you have the baffle in or out of your MIVV?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yea i am not worried about the popping at all... Did you say you have the baffle in or out of your MIVV?
Out. First thing I did when I got the can is drill through the river holding the baffle in. If you ever want to put it back in just get a bolt and a nut. I have never run the pipe with the baffle in.

I am told it sounds very good, pissed off and aggressive, especially when I start riding hard and abusing the throttle. Another good side effect is that I have not had anyone try to merge into me since I put the pipe on...you will be heard coming a few blocks away.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Out. First thing I did when I got the can is drill through the river holding the baffle in. If you ever want to put it back in just get a bolt and a nut. I have never run the pipe with the baffle in.

I am told it sounds very good, pissed off and aggressive, especially when I start riding hard and abusing the throttle. Another good side effect is that I have not had anyone try to merge into me since I put the pipe on...you will be heard coming a few blocks away.
Definitely like the sound of that!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thats bull. No one in front of you in a car hears you coming.
Ride invisible.

With the SAI not plugged and the baffle out, the Mivv shoots wicked flames.
It almost makes me wanna unplug it.

The idle was too rough for my tastes. prob about 300rpm bouncing. Might be other factors at work.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could this fixed without using a tuneboy?

Would my dealer be able to tweak it for a once of price rather then forking out the $500 odd for a tuneboy?

·
Registered
361 Posts
an S3 with a Mivv GP and the Arrow Low Mount tune from a dealer runs great. It's just my understanding that there is a lot of room for improvement in tuning the fuel map.
There is a really extensive thread on the other site with people that you can ask for perfected tunes. These guys have put many dyno hours into improving the tunes for speedy.

Tuneboys ship from Australia. Are they cheaper for you guys?
The exchange rate just tipped back into the favor of the US. I picked up a tuneboy kit for about the price that everyone else paid during the group buy back in sept/oct...give or take.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AU prices are no better for us which is a shame.

I may just have to bite the bullet because i do know there are perfected tunes out there which will work great but i've got no way of loading them up to the bike without the tuneboy.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Low mount Arrow tune is what you are after. They will charge you for 1/2 hour worth of work to upload the tune. Easy as that. Idle is butter smooth on mine. You can not tell the difference from stock.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Thats bull. No one in front of you in a car hears you coming.
Ride invisible....
I agree that you should ride invisible all the time and be on the look out, no matter what.

But you really underestimate how loud the bike is with the baffle removed on the Mivv, at even partial throttle. In the past year, not one single car has merged in to me, where it used to happen on a regular basis with the stock system. I live in the city and ride at least 1,000 miles per month in all sorts of conditions. My friend says she hears me comming from the main street to her house, which is three blocks away, while she is inside, with the TV on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I agree that you should ride invisible all the time and be on the look out, no matter what.

But you really underestimate how loud the bike is with the baffle removed on the Mivv, at even partial throttle. In the past year, not one single car has merged in to me, where it used to happen on a regular basis with the stock system. I live in the city and ride at least 1,000 miles per month in all sorts of conditions. My friend says she hears me comming from the main street to her house, which is three blocks away, while she is inside, with the TV on.
That is pure craziness... I WANT THAT!

Thinking about getting a tuneboy to cut out the middle man (the stealer) and tune it up myself.

Anyone know where i can a tweaked tune for the MIVV without SAI and CAT?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ha, well in the city of course,...theres **** for the sound to bounce off of.

But yeah, Mivv with arrow low tune.....you gotta plug your SAI or youll get mad popping/backfire. Not like on the stock pipes. These sound more like gunshots. Lots of flame with the dB killer out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts