Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning my week and I’m looking for a rough estimate as to what I’m getting into. Need to do a valve clearance check on my 790 Bonneville. I have the manual and have watched a couple videos but I don’t have a clear sense of how long to plan for the job. Any estimates for a first timer?

·
Registered
11,127 Posts
A few hours for the first time to check the clearances only. You might have trouble getting the cam cover bolts out. Use a good "socket" and a breaker bar. Plan to replace the seals under those bolts.

If you have to change any shims, it's an all day job, plus the time to get the shims. It's fussy and tedious, and you have to do it correctly or bad things can happen. Mark everything with a Sharpie. You'll also need to calculate the thickness of shims you'll need.

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
I inspect and measure mine every 20,000 kilometers (about 12,000 miles) and record the readings.

I find it an easy job and spin the motor to align the cams by having it in gear and turning the rear wheel. easy if you have a centre stand fitted, awkward if you don't. the cam cover comes off easy with a couple of taps with a soft hammer after the allan screws are removed. the allan screw heads hex can be easily damaged if you use an allan key that is worn and not a good fit.

having done all that I only had to re-shim, for the first time at 180,000 kilometers (112,000 miles). and only two valves needed doing, the rest being still within specification

by keeping a record of when they are checked you can see if there's a trend. with the two I recently re-shimmed I could see they were getting tighter over a period of time and it was expecting to have to eventually do it

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I did my first valve check at a 12k. Everything was in Spec. At 54k I need two shims. At 101k everything was in Spec. At 135K every was in Spec....the intakes are on the loose side of Spec...Exhaust on the tight Side of Spec. Checking the valve clearances is easy . Adjusting isnt difficult, just time consuming. The Triumph tool for the cams helps considerably.

·
Administrator
3,531 Posts
at least twice as long as you think it will take.
Wow - that is so true for me anymore. I do not know how many times I come back in from the shop and say " Well, that's done, but I sure didn't think it would take me that long!".

Reactions: HiDesert

·
Registered
2007 Bonneville T100
11 Posts
It can take significantly longer than you'd expect depending on what happens. Be super careful, and order the right parts. I highly recommend getting a couple banjo bolts for the oil line, they are fragile and one of mine sheared while tightening it in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts