Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a dilemma. I have a 2005 955i Tiger with full hard luggage which we use for touring. So far we've done 3 big trips around Europe. My wife is not a biker but enjoys the travelling. With the topbox she is totally relaxed and comfortable on the bike and happily sits as pillion all day. I've been considering changing the bike for a while and will stay with Triumph. The new 1050 Tiger has many attractions,all the tests are positive with the exception of pillion provision. The 2 issues are seat height,my wife is 5'0" and may struggle to get onboard with panniers and topbox. The other is that the Triumph hard luggage is not as capacious as the older 955 luggage.The RH pannier seems almost useless. So I'm thimking maybe 1050ST ?Concerned that as the pillion seat is high and the rider is cantered forward this may cause a problem,also how does it affect handling. And does the topbox also affect handling as it seems to be perched very high on the bike ? My final query is whether the ST will be a fun bike to ride.I know it's a great bike as 2 of my mates have them,but the Tiger seems to be a more fun experience. Fortunately I also have an 03 Speed Triple which is great fun,although part of my plan is to reduce my current 3 bikes to 2. So I'm in a dilemma and any opinions would be helpful. The obvious thing to do is just keep what I have,but like many I like buying bikes !

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I bought mine specifically for two-up riding, but the bike is fun enough that I use it solo far more than ever expected. The Sprint's topbox looks more awkward than the handling that if effects, although I haven't had any real weight in the top box yet. The Sprint's panniers have been down-sized, so unless you wear a salad bowl on your head, a full-face helmet won't fit. I can get (just) one full-face helmet in the top box. Handling with a passenger is plenty good! This is what impressed me the most about the Sprint. It's already relatively lightweight (~446 dry?), so even adding luggage and a passenger, you're still better off than the competition. The bike handles amazingly well right out of the box. Leans effortlessly and holds a line easy as pie. The seat is OK for an hour or two, but by adding the Gel Seat it made mine an all-day tourer, at least for me. My only wish is for more power and less braking effort.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The other is that the Triumph hard luggage is not as capacious as the older 955 luggage.The RH pannier seems almost useless. So I'm thimking maybe 1050ST ?
The Sprint luggage is the same as the new Tiger luggage. Many have complained about the practicality of the panniers not being able to fit helmets, etc.

You are probably better off getting aftermarket luggage if space is important to you.

As for comfort, my daughter and I think the foam is too soft on my 2005 seat and creates a PITA after an hour or so in the saddle. The gel seat option is worth looking a getting if you plan on doing long trips. I fitted a sheep skin cover along with a 12mm layer of EVA foam which improve comfort considerably on my last big trip 1600km in 3 days.:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
No problem you will have an excellent 2 up tourer and a good sports bike....plenty for on your own. We havent had any problems with the standard foam seat.

What is a must is to experiment where to set the front and rear suspension settings. For the people who dont they should when you get it right the bike really dials to you. Of course this has been discuused in depth but is all relative to where you ride regarding bumps / uneven roads to long smooth rides. Running on Avon storms no probs enjoy!

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's a great 2-up bike. Especially for a lil 5'er.

It may not be AS GOOD as a Tiger though, depending on opinion....

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to my dealer yesterday and sat on the ST and Tiger and sadly my wife much prefers the Tiger.I think the fact that she would sit tall on the pillion perch and be more 'exposed' to wind blast and also it was more difficult to get on and off as pegs are higher. Maybe she would get used to it but she didn't seem at all keen. Big disappointment to me as I really liked the ST in the graphite colour,and we may be doing a fast trip to Portugal including a trackday (lads only with no pillions). So the ST would have been the bike of choice I think. Oh well I have the winter to think it thru'...

·
Registered
155 Posts
My Mrs to be does not enjoy it. Short trips with lots of stops are ok but any substantial time in the saddle she is not happy. Stock seat, Corbin, Rick Mayer, doesn't matter. She most comfy on the Mayer but still slides into me pretty bad (even when trying not to) and the pegs are a little high for her comfort

my $.02

·
Registered
472 Posts
My other half like the elevated position as she can see better.
However, the triumph top box had to go. It pushed her forward as it tends to lean forward and apparently the hinges dig in your back. Also the fittings for the top box made the grabrail hard to get a comfortable grip on. Currently looking for a replacement.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Pillion

My wife just started riding with me, even though she has nothing to compare she said she was comfortable and liked the fact she can see over me for a better view. We spend all day on the bike with some stops here and there, gas, lunch, etc. and she is fine. I do have the Corbin seat and backrest and I'm sure that helps.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The missus and I have been on many long trips on the '06 Sprint. You probably have the luggage covered, its sooo much less stressful if you have good bags. I have never had any comfort complaints from the speed monitor - and she suffers from arthritis. The longest stint we have ever done in one single day was 1100km. Both of us were tired but not overly sore anywhere. The only comfort addition I added was a sheepskin seat cover. The missus is of similar height to yours and yes it is a bit of a struggle for her to get on board when the hard bags are attached. All part of the adventure!:)

·
Registered
368 Posts
My wife actually likes the elevated postion. She can see over my shoulder better and that adds to her enjoyment of the ride. Try the dual gel seat, I think that it is a lot more comfortable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here's my two cents

Top box (Givi 46L) and handling:
No issues but heavier the load is the more you feel it of course. One issue specific to Givi mounting plate is that exhaust gases go directly to the "hole" under the box created by the shape of the mount. This led to excessive heating of the top box. I fixed it by adding thin metal plate bellow the box to cover the hole.

Pillion comfort - I use higher Givi screen that has to be taken into account:
My girlfriend didn't like it in the beginning mainly due to buffeting. Then she managed to find the sweet spot. But it takes some time to get fully into it as the sweet spot changes based on the speed and head/side winds.
We did together 6000km trip to Spain this year and I did not know she's sitting behind me most of the time. She liked it a lot too plus the view she had sitting high is a big plus. Except she can also see my speedo :D

Handling with pillion on board is fine most of the time but there's less weight on the front wheel compared to solo ride so you have to be more careful exiting the corner during more spirited ride.

Cheers, Rudy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Depends on pillion

I think the only way to know is probably to let the pillion try out. My ST is fitted with a Corbin seat. Some don't like even shorter rides (feel they sit too high) and another has done multiple 800km+ days being totally comfortable. The Corbin with backrest does make them seem more comfortable (feeling safe) and they tend to sit back into the seat rather than on top of the driver. But its very hard, even after 20 000 km's.

·
Registered
50 Posts
my 2 bobs worth
my co pilot was complaining of sliding forward constantly
had the seat reshaped on my 07 with 35mm added to front of pillion seat and then sculpted into a saddle shape by metzi here in wollongong nsw australia, cost me $320, but the carbon fibre fabric and metallic blue piping looks sexy
to her its 1000% better

·
Registered
382 Posts
triple3john. for what it's worth, I had a 955i Tiger for 3 years before I bought a new Sprint this year. My 23 year old nephew (who is 6'5" tall!) regularly went on the back of my bike. I hoped he wouldn't be uncomfortable on the (much smaller) Sprint. Was very suprised when he said the Sprint was much more comfortable than the Tiger! Odd eh?

·
Registered
177 Posts
2500 miles around Europe June this year, up to 550 miles/day, '07 Sprint ST ABS, 2 up with Triumph standard panniers + Top box (with pillion back pad). My daughter (18 & about 5ft tall) had no problem as pillion and I found the handling brilliant (even the many hairpins etc in Austria/Italy). On the other hand, my wife (or my SatNag) doesn't like the Sprint pillion position. She finds it too high.
I guess it's a very personal thing that you and your pillion need to decide if the ST "fits" you. BTW. I'm 5'8" and about 14st and find the standard seat is perfectly adequate, even for long runs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Is there an easy way for a pillion to get on the back of the ST with a topbox on? My other half is around 5'4, so can't get on the back without using the pegs.

Without the topbox on she can just step on the left peg and swing her leg over, however can't do that with the box on - anyone got any good ideas (apart from strapping a step ladder to the back :) )

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Two options Matt,

Either let her get on from the front or rider position as you would then scoot back up on to the rear perch and the you get on, or depending on whether she is in leathers or jeans and how agile she is just lift the leg over the seat sideways, this is awkward and usually will not work if wearing full leathers.

A curb or step is useful when using the latter technique.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts