Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after considering the options , i wanted something that would not come loose and enter the engine , so that ruled out tape and plugs from the inside , i know that worked for a lot of people but it made me nervous

i used a 3/8 socket head cap screw , 1-1/4 under the head and "screwed " it into the outlet hole from the hose side , you kind of have to
cut your own threads while screwing it in , works like aq champ . then for neatness i put the hose back in place with the factory clamp.

if i had used a 1" bolt it would not have protruded into the air box at all
and been completely warranty friendly stealthiness.

i also put a 1/4 inch bolt into the little open air hole on the bottom of the secodary air chamber , it self threaded into the hole and i cotter pinned it from the outside .

just my 2 cents .

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am assuming if the system is completely removed then warranty issues would arise. What types of codes are sent to the computer by this system being plugged off?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I completely removed my SAI system, hoses, pump and everything. If its not in use, why have it on there. Just extra weight and stuff that is in the way. Then I used rubber plugs to cover up the holes that were left behind (air box and the 3 SAI plates on top of the valve cover). Less weight than using bolts and such. Tie wrapped them on so they wouldn't come off.

Then I brought my bike to the local Triumph dealership and had them install a non-SAI map and that took care of the CEL (check engine light).

If you have a Tune-Boy, I heard that it will also get rid of the CEL.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my tuneboy is not in yet so i needed to stop air from getting into the SAI system to elimanate the annoying "backfiring "in the exhaust .

ther is no check engine light unless you unplug the solenoid . the system does not detect the air flow , only the presence of unburnt fuel at the oxygen sensor or the rapid closing of the throttle will trigger the solenoid to open allowing the exhaust flow to suck in air to burn .

when i get tune boy installed i will turn it off completely and remove the whole shebang.

but its a good idea to block it on any bike running an aftermarket exhaust as it keeps the temprature down in the pipes

stock pipes need the heat for the catalyst

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
weight wasnt an issue for me , i weigh 250 lbs ( how many stone is that )

and a couple of extra bolts arent going to affect me , especially since i lost almost twent pounds with the exhaust and footpeg removal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts