Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2010 T100 with 2000 miles on it two weeks ago. I've put around 200 miles on it so far. Today, I put it on its center stand, and while admiring it, I spun the rear wheel. It doesn't spin very free, and almost sounds like the rear brake is rubbing. It seems to ride fine, but I also don't have a whole lot of experience with bikes. Just started riding this summer. Any opinions or tips are appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
394 Posts
That's perfectly normal for a disc brake - they do drag a little. A friend has a restored Honda 500-4 I was looking at earlier this year w/ some other friends. I spun the rear wheel and was amazed at how freely ran or for how long. One of the guys piped up that I've been used to disc brakes and had forgotten how freely drum braked bike wheels spin.

The rear wheel on my 2012 Thruxton w/ around 3000 miles squeaks when spun and I know it's the brake pad - goes away if I depress the pedal just once.

Jim

I bought a 2010 T100 with 2000 miles on it two weeks ago. I've put around 200 miles on it so far. Today, I put it on its center stand, and while admiring it, I spun the rear wheel. It doesn't spin very free, and almost sounds like the rear brake is rubbing. It seems to ride fine, but I also don't have a whole lot of experience with bikes. Just started riding this summer. Any opinions or tips are appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
noise, friction and chains!

There will always be rubbing as all that keeps the pads of the disc are the seals, so there is always light contact. Chains are another reason for poor spin!. Yours is new so doubt there is an issue. But tight spote can make wheel very reluctant to move. A clean lubede chain spins a lot freer than one that isnt. Alignment and tension of the chain can make life harder.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Yes the wheel will drag a little, but no prob as long as it is just a little,feel the disc after a run a see if its very hot.

Plasma.
It would be better to use an infrared thermometer instead of your finger.
They are available at any hardware store and fairly cheap.
And it's safer.
I use it on my car disk brakes after a drive, the hottest one is the one that needs service.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Something I forgot to mention and Askari alluded to is o-ring chains drag quite a bit more than conventional designs. My KLR came w/ a regular chain & when it wore out I replaced it w/ an o-ring and there was a tremendous difference.

That's perfectly normal for a disc brake - they do drag a little. A friend has a restored Honda 500-4 I was looking at earlier this year w/ some other friends. I spun the rear wheel and was amazed at how freely ran or for how long. One of the guys piped up that I've been used to disc brakes and had forgotten how freely drum braked bike wheels spin.

The rear wheel on my 2012 Thruxton w/ around 3000 miles squeaks when spun and I know it's the brake pad - goes away if I depress the pedal just once.

Jim

·
Registered
339 Posts
The wheel should spin freely for a couple of revolutions,there will be a slight rubbing noise but it should spin unimpinged. If its dragging your brake pads may be holding on a bit too tightly which is easily sorted by draining some of the brake fluid from the reservoir...

Bikerpiper
Irish by birth, cork by the grace of god!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts