Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about how far some of us commute to work.

I myself have a 117 mile round trip commute. I work 12 hour shifts, 4 on 4 off (correctional officer), so it's not too bad.

If I ride one of my bikes (weather dependent), then I know I have something to look forward to when I get off. No matter what kinda day I'm having, I just think about how enjoyable my ride home is gonna be. Sometimes, I'll even take the long way home. 馃榾

So how far do you commute each day?

Registered
I ride 120km round trip. I have a fully faired bike as i live in a cold southern state of australia馃榾

So I am lucky really. After a hard shift it gives me away of unwinding.

Premium Member
I worked (now retired) in the mining industry on 12 hour shifts, 8 days on 6 days off fly in fly out and traveled 345km to the airport and 345 km back the following week.

Registered
I'm not so lucky, my commute is only 11 miles each way so I usually take the long way home - definitely makes the going to coming from work much more enjoyable.

Premium Member
My commute is 25 miles each way. However, I only go into the office one day per week, working the rest of the time from home. When the weather warms, I find myself going into the office more frequently. An early Spring has us all smiling in Minnesota.

Registered
Mine is 10-12 miles each way 3 times a week. It's not the best commute being in Dallas, but I do look forward to riding the bike and riding it is a definite positive.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is 10-12 miles each way 3 times a week. It's not the best commute being in Dallas

We went to Frisco (in the Dallas metroplex for everyone that do not know) a while back to visit my wife's parents. I decided I wanted to go check out some bike dealers and maybe take a test ride or 5 while my wife and her parents went to her sister's house.

I pulled out my cellphone and googled me up a few dealers close by and was on my way. I pulled out onto Hwy 75 and my destination was only 8 miles away, 2 hours later, I arrived. It was at that moment that I realized that my 117 mile commute that I make daily in just under 2 hours wasn't so bad after all. :unsure:

Registered
Mine is 5.5 miles each way, taking the long route. That's 5 days a week (mon-fri). I ride in all weathers (except if the roads are icy, which hasn't happened for a couple years). While it may not be the longest round trip, I still enjoy doing it on two wheels, especially as London traffic can be a bit of a nightmare. Only takes me at worst 20 mins in the morning, which is great, as I can have a little bit longer in bed.

Once the warmer weather hits, I will be heading out of London most weekends, either on day trips or for the weekend.

Registered
I pulled out onto Hwy 75 and my destination was only 8 miles away, 2 hours later, I arrived.
Ya, it sucks when that happens! I do my best to avoid 635 and 75. I'm loving the TX-Express under 635 though. :) I use that when I go to work (over in the Galleria area).

Registered
Well next month I will be at the same employer 32 years. When I stared there I was about 12 miles one way then we moved and it went to between 17 and 18 miles one way. Minimum drive time was 50 minutes in the AM and 65-70 in the PM. When it snowed in the winter all bets were off. Finally got fed up and decided to retire last summer. Then it was announced were we moving to our new warehouse on the day I had picked to retire. I knew a new place was going up and where it was located but thought it was still a bit out till completion. Well still here if I take the long way its 4.3 miles
the short is 4.1 miles. Time to work is about 9 min in the AM and 12 in the PM.

Last time I was this close to a job was 52 years ago. :cool:

K

Registered
20 miles each way for me on 114 another DFW nightmare highway. Not as bad as 75 though!
The easy clutch helps in the stop/go traffic. Still better than taking the truck though

Registered
I only commuted by bike a few times. I made it a point to live close to work... usually less than 6 or 7 miles. That made gearing up for the ride, and wearing it all day long, rather tedious. Then, factor in Texas heat and rush hour traffic...and it just wasn't worth it.

I put in 500-600 miles every weekend in the back roads though. I usually went on a 50-60 mile jaunt around the city toward dusk every night after dinner and the traffic died down.

Registered
That made gearing up for the ride, and wearing it all day long, rather tedious.
Why would you need to wear your gear all day long? Couldn't you just take a change of clothes with you? That's what I do (shirt and trousers in my rucksack and change once I reach work).

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
I only commuted by bike a few times. I made it a point to live close to work... usually less than 6 or 7 miles. That made gearing up for the ride, and wearing it all day long, rather tedious. Then, factor in Texas heat and rush hour traffic...and it just wasn't worth it.

I hear you about the Texas heat, I'm between Houston and Corpus Christi. It's like an outdoor sauna. Haha.

I always wear a Draggin long sleeve shirt (100% kevlar) on top of what ever shirt I'm wearing that day (usually a t-shirt) and take it off whenever I get wherever I'm going. I'll put it, along with my gloves in my tailbag and lock it. (The lock is only for the honest thieves. Lol) My helmet goes with me.

As far as abrasion resistance for my legs, I normally wear my Draggins (100% kevlar just like the shirt) under my jeans if I'm gonna be on the bike awhile.

Registered
I have a 112-118 miles round trip, depending on the chosen route and which odometer you would like to believe. Today marks 15 straight months of car-free commuting. The last time I drove my car/truck to work was December 11, 2018.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Registered
I used to have a 70mi/110km round trip commute but I traded it for less than 2. I can walk if the wether is nice. But that does make it a little pointless to take out the bike.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts