Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far can you realistically ride in a day? When I get a few days I wanna get up super early and just start riding west from Atlanta to see how far I can go in a day, then take the nice way home for two days. How far do yo think I could get(+80mph on the freeway)? Has anyone done this before? How far did you go?

·
Registered
617 Posts
A few weeks ago, I went from south of Jacksonville, to Carthage, TN. in 10 hours 10 minutes. 630 miles. I stopped twice for about 20-30 minutes each, other than that, it was gas and go.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
500-600 miles in a day.

The Sprint ST is so comfy that if you have gas / potty breaks you can just keep ridin.

--Kory

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Just my 2 cents, but riding flat out on the slab all day is pretty boring.
It's safer, and more enjoyable, to take a nice stretch & rest stop when you stop for fuel.
Be sure to drink lots of water when you stop. Dehydration can literally kill you.

I'm good for 400+ miles, or a-l-l day long, whichever comes first.
Of course, I'll want a shower, hot meal and beer or 3 at the end of the day. :)

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
I did 750 miles in 14.5 hours once. Not a highway in the whole trip. I could have hopped right up and done it all over again the next day.

Here was the goal:

Good times, good times.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
538 miles in one day. Pretty easy on the Honda but the beer drinking that night made the next morning a little tough.;)

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Longest, 657miles Socorro to Las Vegas, Nevada. Lots of 450 to 500 mile day rides.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Taking it easy, with lots of stops, I can do 600 miles in a day and feel pretty good.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I did 750 miles in 14.5 hours once. Not a highway in the whole trip. I could have hopped right up and done it all over again the next day.

Good times, good times.
Lovely shot HiDesert...

I've done a few 1100km+ days. Even without lots of stops it can be fairly easy IF you have plenty of hydration and maintain a reasonable (i.e above 70mph) average speed.

After all, a 700mile day is only 10hrs riding at 70mph. Throw in 4 x 30min stops and you've still only used 12hrs of the 24hrs. Plenty of time for sleeping and drinking etc :D

One of the best day runs was the MotoGP last year with a 4000km 5day ride tacked on to the end of the 1000k ride to the GP.

The last day home was 1150km in 11 1/2 elapsed (so more than 100km/h average) in 36deg C heat. The Conti Road Attack was literally melting with the heat - bands of rubber coming off and rolling into the tread grooves! I felt very fresh when I got home as I'd used the camelback and gone through over 5 litres of fluid that day.

Russ

·
29,948 Posts
450 mile day trips are quite common for me on my Bonneville, I could definitely go longer without a problem. I think the longest trip I have done is 700 miles in one day (not on the Bonnie) and that's not even approaching the maximum.

Ride as far as you fancy basically. Then stop, then do it again. :D

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Sydney to Brisbane - the inland route in the rain - took around 11 hours and no speeding tickets...

PS - that's around 1000 km

·
Banned
2,731 Posts

I've done a few 1100km+ days. Even without lots of stops it can be fairly easy IF you have plenty of hydration and maintain a reasonable (i.e above 70mph) average speed.

...........Russ

Good point! I stay away from energy drinks as they have too much sugar, caffeinated beverages and junk food.
Nothing worse than being a few hundred miles from a destination and having a sugar or caffeine "crash".

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ride to suit your desire for fun at a tolerable comfort level. The mileage is secondary unless some exterior force is planning your schedule. :) Pressed, everyone can probably go farther than they think they can. Check out the movie "Vanishing Point"

·
Registered
575 Posts
400+ miles on these back country roads:

I was sea sick and sore in all sorts of places when I disembarked the stock saddle, but man was it worth it :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts