Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a thread on here about how bikers piss off cagers for no reason but my thing is how do you react when someone cuts you off, no turn signal or will speed up when you put your turn signal on just so you dont get in front of them.

Happened to me on my way to work this morning guy cuts me off I was traveling faster than he was and all of a sudden he switches lanes and brakes, and I get the bird. But when I rode up at the lights to his window tapped on it and that it was uncalled for he ran the red light and off he went, everyone is big and bad when they're in that little cage.
Most of the time I feel like wow buddy ***, f you and your issues.

But how do you react both in the car or riding, usually I try to get away from those people in a hurry or hold them up in a car not so much on the bike

·
Registered
578 Posts
i usually break something on their car

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I try and just stay out of their way. Most of the time I can just speed up/slow down/change lanes or whatever. People are crazy and get worked up about stupid things and you never know who is going to have a gun in their glove compartment...not to say I don't have a lot of pet peeves but I just try and stay out of the way of the crazy folks who follow you. Those people I just pull into a store and drive in circles in the parking lot til they get bored.

On the bike I try and avoid confrontation even more since they can do a lot more damage when I am more exposed.

I did lose it one time when I was moving into a turning lane and this b!tch drives IN THE OTHER LANE OF TRAFFIC to go around me to get up to the RED LIGHT in front of me. I waited till traffic stopped and split the lane and gave her a piece of my mind, should've taken a mirror though. Good thing I was paying attention as my peripheral vision caught it at the last second or I'd probably be dead from that one...and yes, she was on her cell phone, and to her it was somehow my fault I used my turn signal and was moving into the turn lane...

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
Walk away, too many crazies out there. I don't want to be mistaken for one of them.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
i usually break something on their car
Not this ^^^

Walk away, too many crazies out there. I don't want to be mistaken for one of them.
This ^^^

Motorcyclists are the minority here and aren't held in high regard. I try to be as courteous as possible, especially to car drivers.

Break a mirror today?......Driver may run over your friend tomorrow!:eek:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Being a road cyclist, I am extremely sensitive to this issue. I was flipped off the other day for just being on my road bike, standing off the road in the grass, having a snack and drink. Virginia doesn't enforce merging or the passing lane any longer, unless there are signs on specific roads saying so, therefore I have noticed that drivers here are even that more clueless and dangerous. While on my Speedy, which I drive in heavy 4-5 lane traffic every day to work, I just assume everybody can't see me, is purposefully trying to kill me, and won't give a crap if they cause me harm. If somebody cuts me off, I usually lay on the horn, flash my brights repeatedly, then either throw my arms up in the air like "***o?" or pull up next to them and wave my index finger like a parent does to their child who's about to do something stupid. I have figured the other finger is pointless, and usually the ones that are at fault automatically throw it up as soon as they hear your horn. Overall, I just try to get out of pockets of traffic as quick as I can, and yes, that means speeding, but probably overall a lot safer. And on the Speedy, it's so simple, just a flick of the wrist, and you shouldn't have any problem passing anybody or getting out of their way. And I do have a concealed carry permit, so if anything gets too crazy, and it's a life or death situation in a parking lot, then I will even the odds. Your best bet is to not take it personal and chock it up to there just being too many dumb [email protected]# people on the road. They don't even know who you are, just don't like you being on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
578 Posts
hi

funny im from Minneapolis, thats where i get all my rage. Ive smashed in 26 mirrors and 6 windows and dented 8 doors to this date. I also threw a pocket of change and spider webbed someones front window too.

·
Registered
257 Posts
funny im from Minneapolis, thats where i get all my rage. Ive smashed in 26 mirrors and 6 windows and dented 8 doors to this date. I also threw a pocket of change and spider webbed someones front window too.
Please tell me you are kidding and not admitting to criminal acts on the internet??

It's not worth it.

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
Please tell me you're kidding and not really proud of it. I share those roads with you in Minneapolis.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I use my right wrist in most all situations. You can never tell what the arsehole is thinking, or what they might do. Just leave.

:cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Bike may beat car in drag race, but car will always beat bike in demolition derby.
I let them get ahead of me and chuckle.
I have a pic of my little kid in the map pocket on my tank bag. Reminds me what's important with those knuckleheads on the road.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Please tell me you are kidding and not admitting to criminal acts on the internet??

It's not worth it.
Pretty hard to prove if no witnesses or a crime! Hahahah **** cagers

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm normally the person raging at their stupidity, fuming silently under my helmet.
Most drivers are so lacking in skills, awareness and just general common sense that is it scary.

At the same time if I see someone dangerous I back right off and give them plenty of room. Ie someone swerving across the road, or one of those jackasses who drives a ute or performance vehicle and will try and push people out of lanes or block/cut people off.
If I see someone who is a bad driver but who I can safely get past then I get ahead of them and they generally won't catch up.

I had an incident were some idiot in a ute decided to triple his speed and move across two lanes in order to block me from taking an exit, I could have gotten in front of him but definitely didn't want to have to speed on a dangerous piece of road just to get around his stupidity. It just just super lucky there was no one in the lane he pushed me into, but I have to admit I was hoping he would have some horrible accident (involving no one else).

As others have noted we are in the most vulnerable position on a motorcycle, if there are no witnesses and you get nudged off the road by a car and die they will never catch the person.

What is good is when someone does something REALLY stupid to get in front of you, for no good reason, only to realise you will be the vehicle right next to them at the next set of lights. Watching them almost crap themselves as you give them the glare and the helmet tap (got anything up here mate signal) is great.

I wouldn't recommend doing damage to anyones property ever. One day I was rushing to get to work and threaded through traffic at a red light to get to the front. I clipped this guys mirror and caused a tiny scratch in the plastic surrounding his mirror.
I stopped exchanged details and told him I'd pay to have it fixed back to original quality. Anyway he tried to gouge me for $600 dollars for a brand new OEM mirror for a 20 year old car.
I ended up getting one from a wreckers in good condition and getting it paint matched to his car for a total cost of about $150.
Annoyingly though, the damage he wanted repaired for the mirror wasn't actually done by me in the accident, and couldn't possibly have been done by me. Because I was at fault though I coughed up.
He tried to rip me off, made it a huge issue and it was generally unpleasant even though I was doing the right thing.

A few months later a lady reversed back over my bike at an intersection, and it took me 4 months to recover the damages because they tried everything to get out of paying...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Don't escalate, get distance. Generally distance is easy to get when you're on a literbike. If you can't get distance by getting away, find someplace populated and stop.

You may think you're king bad*ss but escalating or trying to "win" or "get revenge" is unsafe and foolish. Win by being a quarter mile away before they even realize they're angry.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Don't escalate, get distance. Generally distance is easy to get when you're on a literbike. If you can't get distance by getting away, find someplace populated and stop.

You may think you're king bad*ss but escalating or trying to "win" or "get revenge" is unsafe and foolish. Win by being a quarter mile away before they even realize they're angry.
Excellent advice. I refuse to let any idiot ruin or possibly take my life.

·
Super Moderator
8,867 Posts

It's not worth it.
This is the same guy who posts videos on the internet showing multiple acts of speeding and passing on double yellow lines in corners as well as several other moving violations.

We are dealing with a smart one for sure .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.