Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading of several unfotunate misshaps here when folks are moving their bike I started wondering....how you YOU push your bike? My last bike years back was a two wheeled land yaht barkalounger... aka Goldwing. When moving that behemouth I ALWAYS got on it and rode/pushed it to remain stable and I guess I just got in the habbit as I do the same with my svelt, nimble Sprint.

So...are you a riding paddle style pusher...? (like me).

Or the

Come what may, I can hang onto it, walk besider type...?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Grab left handle bar with left hand, use right hand on either right handle bar or grab left side of passenger bar and walk the bike. My legs are to short to move the bike just by sitting on it very well.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I grab the bars with both hands and walk it. I only get on and ride if I'm unsure about the ground level or losing footing (dirt/gravel). This bike is way too heavy (for me) to move it around by the "one hand on the left grip and one hand on the luggage rack" method.

·
Registered
857 Posts
My legs are too short to get enough purchase for paddling so I walk beside

Sometimes both handlebars, sometimes left bar and hand on seat, or lifting handle

NB - never push or pull bike with the side-stand down it's asking for trouble, it may catch on a lip or rise, or you may trip on it...

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Side stand always up.

Left hand on bar.

Right hand on right bar or on the seat.
If on any degree of incline, right hand on bar and brake lever.

And iceman pointed out a key element. If going for any distance, or as conditions warrant it, position the bike against your hip so that it is slightly weighted against you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't seem to be able to push when standing on the right, and have had an oops from there. Just seems more natural when standing on the left.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Just walk it around pushing the bars with an index finger on the front brake lever, while making "vroom vroom" sounds ;)

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I usually climb on to move her around but the more comfortable I become with her the less I feel the need to be on her to roll her around. Pushing a bike without being on it, especially a bike like the sprint(top heavy), takes practice.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Its a TRIUMPH, I dont NEED to push it, it aint a Harley!! LOL LMAO!!

But seriously, I do it off the bike, hands on the bar-ends as well as the grips. Unless Im backing it out of the garage, then I am on it pushing rearward with my feet.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
How do you push your bike?

always carefully....:p:D

·
Registered
288 Posts
I prefer to sit and do the crab walk. Secondarily, I'll push it from the side with both hands on the bars, but I do NOT care for that at all and view it as a last ditch thing. It's too easy to get it a little off balance (to the right of center) and lose it--I'm only 145 lbs and the SXprint is pretty top-heavy.

I've been "bike sitting" a bunch of my buddy's bikes, and some, like his Bandit 400, are super-easy to push around from any orientation. I guess that's how bigger/stronger people feel with the Sprint. Not me, though!

·
Registered
401 Posts
wife does it

I get the wife to move it, shes a piano mover and weighs in at 330kg.She can pick it up and move it ,:biglaugh:

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm about 6 foot and skinny, so I sit on it and move it no problem.

I've always been jealous of how easily the guys that work at the dealerships seem to move the bikes. Heavy or light seems to be no problem for most of them....

MD

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sit on it...I've had an "oops" moment trying to push one from the side...No more for me, thanks.

MP

·
Registered
218 Posts
HYBRID STYLE:

I start with both hands on the bars, then clutch in (in 1st) and right hand on the rear bar ( if it starts to get away, I let out the clutch and flex my muscles :D) till I get it to a point where I can mount and power walk it out..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts