Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

How do you indicate when overtaking ?

• I never indicate, just blast past !

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • I signal via my indicator then overtake !

• I check my rear view, signal then overtake !

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • I check my rear view, flash my headlight, signal then overtake !

• I check my rear view, signal, flash my headlight, toot my horn, then overtake !

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Sometimes I indicate but mostly I don't !

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I rarely signal but I always mirror check !

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking on another site I notice that many of their members do not indicate when overtaking, is this general for the motorcycle community or limited to that site. Assuming the road is clear ahead, how do Triumph owners do it ?

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
I indicate if I think it'll cause someone to modify their behaviour otherwise I'll just go.

I'll only go if I'm convinced it's safe and I aim to do it quickly when it is safe so the indicator would either cause unnecessary delay or would be redundant.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I hardly ever use my indicators, I always tend to assume that car drivers haven't seen me and I'm usually going way too fast anyway.

They probably don't expect me to overtake on the apex of a blind corner over a hill crossing double white lines at double the speed limit and if they can't hear my loud straight through race pipes and see my twin headlights coming up behind them then they ain't gonna notice a tiny little amber light which only comes on half the time.

A good long blast on the horn and clipping their wing mirrors with yer elbow as you pass is a good way of making sure they look out for you next time though.

Pete

·
29,945 Posts
I use my mirror, look over my shoulder, indicate then overtake.

Since activating the indicator requires a small movement of my thumb, it seems simple enough to add the extra info for anyone bothering to look.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
I always use the turn signals. It's easier than deciding when I need to and when I don't. And a quick look over your shoulder is indeed a good idea; covers the blind spot.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
I never over take only because I try to stay 5 mph under the legal speed limit.....at all times! One could get a ticket or something for speeding. :D

If I was to over take it would be with a look in the rear view x2, signal and clear view ahead though.:rolleyes:

·
29,945 Posts
On the rider training course I took when I was first getting into riding, that look over the shoulder was called a "lifesaver" by the instructors (don't forget to do your lifesaver and so on), which I think is a rather good name for it. Basically always do a lifesaver before any maneouver. I do them in the cage when I'm driving too - just never got out of the habit, which I think is alright.

There have been a couple of times when that look really did save my life.

Bit off topic perhaps, but not too much.

I'm with HiDesert - I just indicate all the time whether there are folks around or not. It's a good habit to have.

Errr - I forgot to add that I do plenty of observation in the overtaking direction too - looking out for potential hazards - side roads, oncoming traffic and so on and so forth. :D

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hmmm, that little amber light might just prevent somebody suddenly turning into a side street across you as you're coming alongside. On the other hand, I would never knowingly put myself in a position (by means of the constant observation that Prop is talking about) where the vehicle I'm overtaking has the faintest reason to turn across me [examples would include side street, home driveway, pub car-park, petrol station, small layby with sandwich kiosk, naked actress chained to lampost... er uhm sorry, imagination running away with me there...].
I have got lazy about the 'lifesaver' look over here, since there are hardly any other bikes on the roads and nothing else is going to be coming up behind me. In London traffic the lifesaver look was not an option, it was an absolute necessity.

I should add, you shouldn't overdo looking over your shoulder. I've been a bit leisurely about looking to the front again and found the cage in front had come to a dead stop - bit of a squeaky bum moment. Overtook rather faster than I had intended...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Signal - mirror - headcheck... that's my practice for every lane change whether overtaking on a two lane road or lane changing on a multi-lane road.
Sometime it means "Signal - mirror - headcheck - GO" and sometimes "Signal - mirror - headcheck - pause"
While overtaking that signal indicator may prevent someone behind you from simultaneously trying to overtake you AND the one in front (thus taking you out of the game).
But the question in the original post included "Assuming the road is clear ahead..." so in all fairness that question does not include assuming that the passing lane is all clear from the rear.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Well, I look three times over the shoulder and signal most of the time. When I don't it's because their is no one around except for the vehicle I'm overtaking. :) Learned this driving a semi. so I guess it stuck.

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
434 Posts
I do it as tolled. Look Signal Maneuver
This has saved me a couple times from being a target ,Other Bikes wanting to over take me and the cars in front ,And once done a lifesaver only to find a car beside me :mad: he stop me from over taking and did 'nt have time himself and forced me to take evasive action .... What a *&%$ .

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I should add, you shouldn't overdo looking over your shoulder. I've been a bit leisurely about looking to the front again and found the cage in front had come to a dead stop - bit of a squeaky bum moment. Overtook rather faster than I had intended...

That's a good point Rich, you shouldn't be turning your head away from the vehicle in front of you if you're pretty close. This also applies to being behind one at a round-a-bout, I nearly collided with one in front of me who was going forward but suddenly stopped for no reason when the way was clear and I was checking the round-a-bout for my clearance.

----------------
Ride on ! :(

·
Registered
265 Posts
I very seldom use my turn signals at all even when turning. I try to use the inherent motorcycle advantages over cars ( accelleration, braking , handling) to keep myself either well ahead or well behind cars and traffic at all times. Granted there are traffic situations where this might not be possible and then I will reduce myself to playing the game by car rules and signal my intentions. Any bike I have owned has not been equipped with auto cancel signals and forgetting to cancel them one time after a turn can eliminate all the benefits gained from safe turns made with them beforehand. I just prefer to be proactive in my riding and put myself in better position to stay out of trouble rather than rely on a couple of amber 1157 bulbs. When passing, I first determine whether there is any traffic behind me or not. Then check the road ahead to make sure I'm not passing at any kind of driveway or intersection that the car can turn left into. Then recheck mirror for rear traffic and do a side check. In my side check, I try to keep one of the cars tailights in my right side vison in case they make some kind of panic stop as others have mentioned. Gap the throttle and get around em quickly.....gives em less time to drop their cell phone or spill their coffee and turn into you.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
+1 richb on the shoulder look, almost never do this (for overtaking only that is) as the time to return attention forwards is just too hazardous in most cases, but I'm also obsessive about glancing in mirrors & knowing what's behind at all times.

I rarely indicate for these reasons. Only the vehicles in front & those behind are relevant - vehicles waiting at junctions ahead, potential or actual will abort the manoevre anyway, as accelerating off & relying on being seen by them is very risky & contrary to good roadcraft. Likely the vehicle in front will have zero chance to see the indicator before it's obvious what I'm doing. Those behind don't need to know if I'm going to overtake, what action do they need to take in a relevant timescale? (Unless they mistake a signal for a 'turn' & start moving up the inside!) The exception here is for another bike (not riding together with me) behind me & that is the 'rare' possible occasion to signal. Tho' I would usually wave another biker forward past me, as if they've caught me up, they're travelling quicker & I prefer to let them go & not 'race'. (At least not in overtaking situations :p)

The other aspect here is that I usually practice the 'hang back' (standard advanced riding) technique where initial acceleration is done before crossing the centreline then make the final decision as I approach the vehicle in front to go or not (& drop back). A signal is inappropriate until I make the final decision & it's merely stating what I am doing not intending to do thereafter. I also have better control of the machine when my thumb isn't out of position while flicking the signal switch.

For me this highlights something of a contradiction in 'advanced' roadcraft. Generally a signal before overtaking is suggested. But any signal that does not give any meaningful (actionable) information in a relevant timescale may be omitted.

Um....'rarely signal and always mirror check' didn't seem to be offered in the poll? :confused: :D

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
What IrlMike said, in its entirety, except:

"Generally a signal before overtaking is suggested."

Motorcycle Roadcraft specifies- "Consider the need to give information: is the driver in front aware of your presence, do you need to signal your intentions to the driver behind? Consider the benefits of giving a headlight, horn or indicator signal."

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Thanks for that Saphena ! :)

My own copy of the 'bible' seemingly dropped down a black hole many moons ago :(

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Um....'rarely signal and always mirror check' didn't seem to be offered in the poll? :confused: :D

There's so many variations what people actually do and the poll is limited but I have added that one for you Mike and if you've already voted then it's too late ! :D

For myself I always mirror check and generally signal but it's not always practical so I cannot claim to signal 100% of the time but I mainly do make the effort purely to alert all around.

...but I don't use the full orchestra, signal, flash and toot, by the time I could do that I would be about 100 metres past !

---------------
Ride on ! :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts