Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) Hi Guys,

an old guy was looking a my bike parked outside a coffee shop yesterday, and we started chatting, he told me had owned a bonneville just after the war and still had a few parts. when he mentioned an old front number plate and surround, I wanted him to let me see and perhaps buy it. so today I picked it up, woo hoo, the real deal, chrome surround and complete. looking at it, I think it should fit and look great, just got to work out how to fit it, have to drill & screw it onto the guard. anyone know how fit it, will I need to remove the guard, or wheel, if so, how best to do you do this ?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Mounting

It's an easy job, I did mine right on the bike, just have to be careful not to drill holes in your tires....lol....
not sure what type of mounting you have, post a picture and I can tell you more....

·
Registered
495 Posts
As to prevent aforementioned tire drilling, small 2x4 scraps work well for catching stray dril bits. Also watch where the drilled metal flakes go - large ones at least might cause you a flat.

·
Registered
495 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sportyone has a vintage plate mount, it will need drilling or some other improvisation. I really like the look of the front plate from NB though... tempting.
Yeah, and it's correct position seems ( wouldn't you know it ) that a hole may be needed through the actual guard bracket below the headlight ?

here is a pic of number plate & surround .

thanks for your help, wondering how difficult it may be to take of the guard, for safety sake ?

cheers,
:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
Sporty, the gaiter instruction manual says this about the mud guard:

Remove front stay bolt
Remove rear stay bolt
remove bolts securing fenders to forks

That is all the help they give you about the process in dealing with the guard. This is after you have removed the wheel though, so maybe its harder than it looks... but I doubt it. Remember to mark ( I would use painters tape ) the location of the stay-bars on the fender so you can get the notch in the correct place. Post pics when you are done!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sporty, the gaiter instruction manual says this about the mud guard:

Remove front stay bolt
Remove rear stay bolt
remove bolts securing fenders to forks

That is all the help they give you about the process in dealing with the guard. This is after you have removed the wheel though, so maybe its harder than it looks... but I doubt it. Remember to mark ( I would use painters tape ) the location of the stay-bars on the fender so you can get the notch in the correct place. Post pics when you are done!
thanks,
i'm gunna try removing the guard with stays attached to it & hopefully without removing the wheel ? if at all possible.
only want to get a clear shot at the center bracket from underneath, hoping anyway?
does that make sense ??:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts