Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling Hidesert and other math experts. I recently copied a wind chill facto chart from a web site, and was disappointed to see that it stopped at wind speeds of 50 mph. For instance, I was wondering what the wind chill would be at 45 degrees and 75 mph. Does anyone have a formula for computing this? It seems to me the relative humidity or dew point should figure into the equation, but that's probably just borrowing trouble.

Also, have any of you wondered how cold it really was during your winter riding?

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
I don't believe you should be using humans in those sort of experiments, to be safe I only use monkeys and by my calculations what you are experiencing is brass monkey weather !

------------------
Ride on ! ;)

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
The original experiments that led to what we now call windchill factors used tubes of water hanging in the wind. It's a valid question how much that tells us about the cooling experienced by a human being, especially a human being in winter riding gear. But the formulas are

where T is in Celsius, V is in km/hr (measured 10m off the ground; hope you don't have a lowering link on your bike!), Ta is the uncorrected air temperature, and Twc is the windchill temperature. Or...

for T in Fahrenheit, V in mph (measured 33' off the ground).

The Wikipedia article goes on to note that: "The method for calculating wind chill has been controversial because experts disagree on whether it should be based on whole body cooling either while naked or while wearing appropriate clothing, or if it should be based instead on local cooling of the most exposed skin, such as the face. The internal thermal resistance is also a point of contention. It varies widely from person to person. Had the average value for the subjects been used, calculated WCET's would be a few degrees more severe."

So the long and short of it (the cool and freezing of it?) is that this whole issue isn't nearly as precisely, uniformly defined as the formulas imply.

To sum up; your snotsickles may vary.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
........... But the formulas are

where T is in Celsius, V is in km/hr (measured 10m off the ground; hope you don't have a lowering link on your bike!), Ta is the uncorrected air temperature, and Twc is the windchill temperature. Or...

for T in Fahrenheit, V in mph (measured 33' off the ground).

I think my estimate was more accurate, when it's cold enough to freeze the nuts off a brass monkey, that is really cold in practical terms as opposed to a bunch of theoretical figures !

Would you like to hear my monkey formula for climate change ?

...or do you not give a monkeys !

-----------------
Ride on ! :cool::D

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
I think my estimate was more accurate, when it's cold enough to freeze the nuts off a brass monkey, that is really cold in practical terms as opposed to a bunch of theoretical figures !

Would you like to hear my monkey formula for climate change ?

...or do you not give a monkeys !
Bet you can't get your monkeys 33 feet off the ground to verify HiDesert's formula :D

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
So what is the difference between 'Bloody Cold' and F#*king Cold'?

I should point out that anything below 70F is considered 'Bloody Cold' here in Hawaii

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
:goodpost::laughhard:

I remember a military conference that Curtis E. Lemay (Strategic Air Command Commander Retired) attended and spoke at. It was at Minot AFB , North Dakota. His favorite saying was "Why Not Minot", Luck had it there was a very new to the service airman in attendance;) that stood up and said in a very loud and bold voice, "CAUSE FREEZEN IS THE REASON" sir. The entire auditorium of several thousand and the General laughed until they cried!. It took about 10 minutes for everyone to calm down.

The are three ways to tell, according to Alaska natives:

1. Go out to pee, pee freezes when hits the ground! Um cold

2. Go out to pee, pee freezes on the tip of the ding dong! Um really COLD

3. Get up look outside, to damn cold to pee, go back to bed. Ahh pee in bed stay warm.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
203 Posts
worthless trivia

My understanding of the term "freezing the balls off a brass monkey" it that the brass monkey is the square steel ring that was used to stack a peramid of cannon balls on, during the time when cannons were used. When it got cold enough the ring would contract, the cannon balls would move and sometimes fall. thus the term "freezing the balls off a brass monkey".

I was told this by someone in my family, I did a quick search on the web and it is mentioned on wikipedia briefly.

end of worthless trivia post.
sorry to have boored you.

Sprintboy

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
So what is the difference between 'Bloody Cold' and F#*king Cold'?
Bloody cold is when it affects circulation in your exremeties. If you aren't dressed properly, it can keep you from ever getting to F#*king cold. That's when there's only one way for you and a partner to stay warm. Good times, good times. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts